Bachelor / Master Thesis (m/f/d) Software Engineering
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB is a leading global engineering company that energizes the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. By connecting software to its electrification, robotics, automation and motion portfolio, ABB pushes the boundaries of technology to drive performance to new levels. With a history of excellence stretching back more than 130 years, ABB's success is driven by 110,000 talented employees in over 100 countries.As Software Architecture Research Group of ABB's Corporate Research Center Germany, we transfer recent academic insights and technology developments into prototypes of future products and systems. Those research projects on digitalization of industry are executed according to agile methodology in close collaboration with domain-experts from ABB's divisions all over the globe.We are looking for enthusiastic students to become part of our research and development team of a global, future-oriented company. Join us to learn from competent experts, gain insights on technologies, and get practical experience through challenging tasks in a project team. You will be involved in projects and perform a defined set of duties independently. Use your stay at corporate research center to build your professional network and become familiar with our company.
- Under a joint supervision of an academic professor from your university and an experienced ABB scientist with an academic track-record:
- Research emerging academic and technology developments according to collected industrial requirements
- Define and answer research questions from an defined research area
- Evaluate your results on industrial use cases and software systems from ABB's offering
- Areas of the theses topics include, but are not limited to: Cloud and Edge Computing, Containerization and Container Orchestration, Digital Twins, 5G networking, Microservice Architectures, Applied Machine Learning, Software Product Line Engineering, System and Software Modeling, Technical Debt and Software Quality Metrics, Software Performance Modeling
- Contributing to academic publications on international conferences and journals
- Highly-motivated student in computer science, software and systems engineering, information technology, electrical/automation engineering (or a related subject) who is curious about new technologies and want to tackle challenges collaboratively and independently
- Experience with software development in OOP (Java or C#) and/or other languages (C/C++)
- Additional experience in scripting languages (e.g. Python) is a plus
- Experience or willing to learn software and system modeling languages (UML, SysML, C4)
- As a good communicator, you have sound English skills in speaking and writing required by an international team
More about us
ABB's Corporate Research Center Germany is located in Ladenburg, between Mannheim and Heidelberg, two major German cities full of attractions. Heidelberg blends middle-European traditions with a lively spirit due to the numerous students from all over the world.You will receive appropriate remuneration for the duration of the thesis duration.High-potential students working at ABB get a chance to become a part of our talent pool including various student events and personal contact at ABB's HR.Interested? Then we look forward to receiving your informative application (including at least: cover letter, CV, certificate of enrolment, current transcript of grades) through our online careers tool.
Publication ID: DE68082373_E4