Internship or Student Worker (m/f/d) Virtual Networking Functions for Industry
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
Looking for a taste of working life in an international, future-focused corporate group? Then join us as an intern (m/f/d) and familiarise yourself with a suitable department for 3 to 6 months. You will be involved in large-scale projects and perform a defined set of duties independently. Use your internship to build a network and become familiar with our company.You are interested in the domain of industrial connectivity, especially in network solutions, communication protocols? Would you like to apply your expertise in a challenging and fascinating environment? Then join our team to contribute to next generation technologies of ABB.
- In the context of industrial digitalization and IT/OT-convergence, industrial networking is about to complete the move away from Fieldbus technologies to connectivity based entirely on Ethernet/WiFi/5G, IP, and technologies like OPC UA or REST-based interfaces. In a similar way, automation systems have started to follow the trend of virtualization and containerization in the IT world. Specifically, network function virtualization (NFV) is a key technology for the efficient operations of office IT and telecom networks, but it is not used in industrial systems.
- With automation industry adopting successful technologies from IT, a key question is how virtual network functions (VNF), also the containerization of these functions (CNF), and also simulated networks in general can be used in industrial environments.
- In close collaboration with our research team, you will engage in demonstrator development for software-defined industrial networks. More specifically, you will implement methods to virtualize network functions for use in industrial plants or factories, how to select, deploy, configure, test, monitor, and upgrade simulated networks and the related VNFs/CNFs. The results of this work will contribute to the automated testing and secure and efficient operation of Future Industrial Networks.
- Study background in communication systems, computer science, engineering or similar knowledge from software engineering and development experience.
- Knowledge of fundamental networking concepts and protocols (ISO/OSI layers, IP, TCP) and some of the communication technologies: Ethernet, TSN, SDN, WiFi, or 5G.
- Experience with Container Technologies
- Prior knowledge of Network Simulation/Emulation tools, Kubernetes/ESX/NSX APIs or orchestrators for infrastructure automation is not required (but appreciated).
- Some experience with software development: Microsoft .NET and C#, Python, or JS
- Highly motivated, team-minded, and able to work independently.
- Fluent English in verbal and written form is required.
More about us
We believe in fairness, so interns who join us will benefit from our expertise as they expand their own knowledge. We give you the scope to try things out for yourself and obtain practical experience. Your time is valuable, so you will receive appropriate remuneration for the duration of the internship.Please note that internships are generally limited to six months, while voluntary internships during a bachelor course are for a maximum of three months.Please state whether you are applying for a voluntary internship or undertaking a mandatory internship, and be sure to enclose your certificate of enrolment. In the case of mandatory internships, please include the corresponding extract from your university’s internship guidelines. Interested? Then we look forward to receiving your informative application (cover letter, CV, certificate of enrolment, current transcript of grades and other supporting documents) through our online careers tool.
Publication ID: DE82538182_E4