(Senior) Scientist / Electrical Engineer - Electromechanical Actuation Technologies (80-100%)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
At ABB Corporate Research we explore novel technologies and innovative methods to enhance the core business strengths of ABB, a company with a long history in innovation and technology. We advance the frontiers of modern technology. Closely aligned with the needs of our business areas and divisions, we collaborate and foster creative solutions to practical engineering challenges. Our accomplishments significantly influence technology trends and future products, and they are highly visible to the global research community.Are you an expert in the field of electromechanical actuation? Are you interested in shaping the next generation of ABB’s actuation technologies that drive the robust, smart, and sustainable electrification of the future? Would you like be part of a challenging & fascinating environment in a global and diverse company? Then, join our team of highly motivated researchers and students, and help us shape the future! In cross-functional teams, you will cooperate with other researchers inside and outside the company and apply your expertise to conceptualize, optimize, demonstrate, and validate novel ideas. Technology demonstrators based on your work will serve as starting points for subsequent product development. We expect that you show a high motivation, ownership mindset, hands-on attitude, and initiative to come up with new ideas that tackle today’s challenges.
This position reports to
R&D Team Lead
- You develop novel, future-proof actuation systems within the wide and versatile field of ABB products.
- You propose and apply advanced mathematical modeling and simulation methods to create new actuation concepts or improve known ones.
- You plan, set up, and conduct experiments together with a prototyping team to validate technology demonstrators.
- You lead R&D projects with cross-functional teams in close cooperation with ABB divisions, customers, and universities.
- You identify new trends through observation of market and university research.
- You come up with innovative solutions and secure important intellectual property.
- You present research results globally across the ABB group and at scientific conferences or via journals.
- You hold a PhD degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or a related field. Exceptional candidates with a M.Sc. degree and relevant experience are also welcome to apply.
- You have a profound theoretical knowledge of electrical drives/motors/actuators, and you bring demonstrable experience in their research and development.
- Your deep analytical understanding of first principles is complemented by your advanced numerical modeling skills in tools such as Ansys Maxwell, Comsol or similar.
- You have experience and interest in managing R&D projects.
- You are experienced in designing, commissioning, and running dedicated test setups to validate your theoretical work. Skills in power electronics, data acquisition, and embedded control, as well as LabView environment would be considered a strong plus.
- You published in high-quality scientific conferences and journals. Experience in the acquisition of third-party funded projects will also be considered a plus.
- You are collaborative, creative, solution-oriented, and curious to explore new fields of research and technology outside own field of expertise.
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken); German language skills are beneficial but not a prerequisite.
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application (documents submitted in English are appreciated). If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.#LI-hybridABB is able to offer you an interesting role within a highly motivated team, together with open communication structures. On the basis of a personal, practice-oriented induction programme, you will be given the opportunity to acquire the confidence needed to work independently and self-reliantly within your assigned area. Even after the joining phase, ABB offers a wide range of individual career development opportunities and supports you in realising your career goals with targeted training measures. At ABB you will find an attractive working environment in all phases of life - including policies for sabbaticals and home office, the ABB children's vacation camp and taking care of family members. Interested in joining our team? We are looking forward to receiving your complete application through our online tool.ABB AGYour contact is: ABB PersonalDirekt +49 (0) 621 381 3500 ABB Data Privacy Statement:https://new.abb.com/privacy-notice/candidate
Publication ID: DE85182348_E8