R&D Design Engineer Intern
R&D Design Engineer Intern
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Smart Power is a global technology leader, with products and solutions that make power supplies smart, connected and protected. Its intelligent products and solutions make power more competitive by improving the energy efficiency, productivity and reliability of almost any operation. The role reports to the R&D/Technology Manager and is located in Plainville, Connecticut.
- Design, development, and manufacturing implementation of engineering programs that meet business standards and program / product requirements
- Plan, execute, and report on the technical design, schedule, and test results of a program with guidance from senior engineering resources
- Design, develop, analyze, and document product designs which meet the functional, cost, reliability, manufacturability, and safety requirements of the customer or market
- Demonstrate conformance to Product Technical Specifications and international standards using Design for Six Sigma and Design for Reliability methodologies. Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and procedures
- Create and maintain technical documentation for all design work and present material for technical review including but not limited to tolerance loops, drawings, bill of materials, product cost, problem and action lists, risk management, and failure root cause analysis reviews
- Execute designs with solid modeling software (PTC Creo / Windchill) to create models, assemblies, detailed drawings, and Bill of materials (BOMs) for designs which may include plastic, stamped metal, and electrically conductive parts
- Support manufacturing implementation of products through Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Mentoring and networking opportunities
- Personal and professional development programing will be offered to all interns. This programing will include global and local sessions
- Currently enrolled in a degree program in the US
- Must be currently authorized to work for ABB in the US
- Experience with Bill of Materials generation & good working exposure to Creo & Other CAD tools
- Ability to analyze test data, root cause, and solve design issues
- Willingness to take on challenging assignments and ability to work within time constraints.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to influence and drive change/results
- Takes ownership and drives results
- Self-starter. Must possess a high level of motivation and resourcefulness working in an open environment
- Must have the ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks
- Experience in Mechanical design related to electrical components or equipment
- Knowledge of certification standards for electrical equipment (UL, IEC, IEEE) is a plus.
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com. Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/2022-10/EEOC_KnowYourRights_screen_reader_10_20.pdf https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762. Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Publication ID: US87964255_E1