A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Broad range of flexible options including hybrid working.
We are truly global, and our 15,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion. We have over 800 staff working in Ireland based in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick.
We are currently seeking a Hydrogeologist to join our specialist team of groundwater practitioners located in Dublin and Cork, Ireland. The team is responsible for hydrogeological input to a portfolio of exciting, varied and multi-disciplinary projects and for groundwater-specific projects covering groundwater resources, groundwater engineering and environmental impact assessment both in Ireland and internationally.
Our projects include:
- Uisce Éireann (Irish Water) including groundwater supply development, source protection and groundwater modelling catchment studies.
- Hydrogeological Impact Assessments for major infrastructure projects including N6 Galway Ring Road, N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction, N4 Carrick-on-Shannon.
- Hydro-ecology assessments including peatland and fen rehabilitation projects for Uisce Éireann and TII.
- Geoenvironmental assessments for Metrolink, Intel, Pfizer, Dart Expansion.
- Groundwater charity projects in Uganda, Mozambique, Syria.
- Groundwater resource development and investigations including aquifer resource studies, groundwater supply well design, drilling and pumping test supervision;
- Design and supervision of hydrogeological ground investigations including monitoring borehole installations, permeability testing, soil/water quality monitoring, data logger installations;
- Conceptualisation of hydrogeological environments including data analysis and visualisation and presentation to clients;
- Lead hydrogeology components of Environmental Impact Assessments for major infrastructure projects working in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Groundwater quality studies including catchment based nutrient assessments and site specific contaminant impact assessments;
- Project Management of hydrogeology projects and working within larger project teams with responsibility for production of deliverables.
- Involvement with exciting international projects interaction with other Arup offices and Arup community engagement and charity projects delivering groundwater supplies in developing countries;
- This is a great opportunity to further develop technical and business skills in a stimulating and supportive environment within a large Ground Engineering and Hydrogeology team. You will also develop relationships with our firm’s wider engineering community and our clients’ engineering and project teams.
- Degree qualified in Geology, Geography, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering with MSc in Hydrogeology or equivalent preferred. The ideal candidate will have a higher degree in Hydrogeology, although consideration may be given to holders of a degree or higher degree in other subjects providing you have relevant experience in hydrogeology.
- Over six years post graduate experience that has developed an excellent understanding and knowledge in this field.
- Excellent report writing skills and proficient user of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and ArcView (or similar GIS package)
- Professional accreditation (PGeo) with Institute of Geologists of Ireland, or similar is an advantage.
- Enthusiasm and experience in the field of hydrogeology gained on projects.
- You will be an inquisitive, creative, solution-orientated designer.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Willingness to develop commercial awareness and acumen, in addition to technical design skills.
- Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges
What to expect at Arup:
- A multicultural and informal working environment where you can develop professionally by being part of a team who enjoy what they do.
- We believe that flexible arrangements, such as hybrid working, create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people.
- Opportunities for short or long assignments at Arup’s offices and projects anywhere in the world.
- Employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme, which is dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
- Competitive performance-based salary growth.
- A strong corporate culture committed to its values: quality of work, holistic approach, humane organization, straight and honourable dealings, social usefulness and reasonable prosperity.
- Continuous training and professional development that will allow you to adapt to the growing needs of our clients as we embrace digital transformation.
You will be expected to become a member of a relevant and necessary professional organisation
Join us in shaping a better world.
Our goal is to shape a better world, finding solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the most expansive impacts of our work. Our drive to build a more sustainable, resilient and equitable future shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. The successful candidate will join our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
'A better way'- Sustainability and Social Equity
At Arup, we strive to bring environmental sustainability and social equity together. We put sustainability at the heart of our projects and invest in research and development that helps tackle issues such as climate change and poverty. We have made a commitment to reach net zero by 2030 and to contribute meaningfully to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, creating shared value for our clients and our communities while safeguarding our planet. Read our net zero carbon plan here. Read our net zero carbon plan here.
A career at Arup gives you the chance to have a positive impact on the world. For us, corporate responsibility is not just a policy; it’s a way of working.
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion is at the heart of what we do
We are committed to creating an inclusive working environment for talented people of any background based on merit, fairness and respect. At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in social, cultural and educational events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or with your colleagues by joining staff networks such as those for women, culture or the LGBTQ+ community.
Recruitment Agencies We have a Preferred Supplier List of trusted partners to assist us when required and do not acknowledge any speculative CVs or unsolicited candidate introductions from agencies not on this list. Thank you