Senior Lighting Designer
A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We believe that flexible arrangements, such as hybrid working, create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people.
Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, consultants and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigour to shape a better world.
Senior Lighting Designer
The candidate will play a key role in the leadership, growth and management of the Arup Lighting team, both in Ireland and the wider Europe Region. With a keen interest in lighting design and technology, the candidate will support the technical development of the local lighting team whilst managing and delivering projects.
The candidate will have a proven track record in the design and delivery of technical lighting solutions. This will include both daylight and artificial lighting projects and across a range of sectors. The candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in effective delegation to junior staff and management of their long-term goals and development. Prior business development experience is desirable.
The candidate will have the potential to grow the Arup Lighting offering within the Ireland and the wider Europe Region.
- Management of resources, winning working and project delivery for our Lighting Team in Ireland;
- Supervising and delegating to junior staff to ensure the effective delivery of technical lighting design projects;
- Communicating with clients to establish their needs and building long term trust throughout a project duration;
- Mentoring, teaching and developing junior staff, particularly in the area of daylight design and softwares;
- Attending and presenting at meetings with clients and collaborators;
- Networking and business development, both internal and external to Arup;
- Promoting the daylight design offering of Arup at key events, both internal and external to Arup;
- Responsibility for developing business contacts and winning work;
- Fostering a culture of creativity, innovation and collegiality within the team.
Current Projects/Skills and attributes needed
- Degree in lighting design, engineering, architecture or related relevant discipline, preferably with professional qualification(s) in Lighting;
- Proven experience in the successful delivery of lighting projects of all types, a fundamental appreciation of lighting consultancy as a technical service;
- Proven experience in the delivery of lighting design projects using complex technical methods and software - knowledge of Radiance is of particular benefit;
- Lighting design experience in the European lighting industry is essential;
- Effective communication, presentation, public speaking and writing skills;
- Experience with financial management: profit and loss, balance sheet, cashflow forecasting;
- Experience in networking, business development and building relationships.
What to expect at Arup:
- A multicultural and informal working environment where you can develop professionally by being part of a team who enjoy what they do.
- We believe that flexible arrangements, such as hybrid working, create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people.
- Opportunities for short or long assignments at Arup’s offices and projects anywhere in the world.
- Employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme, which is dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
- Competitive performance-based salary growth.
- A strong corporate culture committed to its values: quality of work, holistic approach, humane organization, straight and honourable dealings, social usefulness and reasonable prosperity.
- Continuous training and professional development that will allow you to adapt to the growing needs of our clients as we embrace digital transformation.
Join us in shaping a better world.
Our goal is to shape a better world, finding solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the most expansive impacts of our work. Our drive to build a more sustainable, resilient and equitable future shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. The successful candidate will join our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
'A better way'- Sustainability and Social Equity
At Arup, we strive to bring environmental sustainability and social equity together. We put sustainability at the heart of our projects and invest in research and development that helps tackle issues such as climate change and poverty. We have made a commitment to reach net zero by 2030 and to contribute meaningfully to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, creating shared value for our clients and our communities while safeguarding our planet. Read our net zero carbon plan here. Read our net zero carbon plan here.
A career at Arup gives you the chance to have a positive impact on the world. For us, corporate responsibility is not just a policy; it’s a way of working.
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion is at the heart of what we do
We are committed to creating an inclusive working environment for talented people of any background based on merit, fairness and respect. At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in social, cultural and educational events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or with your colleagues by joining staff networks such as those for women, culture or the LGBTQ+ community.
We are a certified CPD accredited employer with Engineers Ireland and we were named Engineers Ireland CPD Employer of the year in 2020