Vice President, Central Data Governance
BAIN CAPITAL OVERVIEW
Established in 1984, Bain Capital is one of the world's leading private investment firms with approximately $180 billion in assets under management. Today, our teams strive to create value through private equity, public equity, fixed income, credit, venture capital and real estate investments across multiple sectors, industries, and geographies. Our competitive advantage is grounded in a diligence-intensive, value-added investment approach that enables the firm to deliver industry-leading returns for its investors. Headquartered in Boston, Bain Capital has offices in Chicago, Dublin, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Lisbon, London, Luxembourg, Madrid, Melbourne, Mumbai, Munich, New York, Palo Alto, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tokyo.
BAIN CAPITAL CREDIT AND SPECIAL SITUATIONS OVERVIEW
Bain Capital Credit & Special Situations are independently managed affiliates of Bain Capital, with a collective $55 billion in assets under management. We invest across the full spectrum of credit strategies, including leveraged loans, high-yield bonds, distressed debt, direct lending, structured products, non-performing loans, and equities. Through our numerous funds, we have the ability to invest in every level of a company’s capital structure from secured debt to equity, and we can also provide capital to growing companies with unique financing needs.
Our investment process is characterized by detailed business and financial analysis and a culture of vigorous debate. We combine a consulting-based approach to industry, competitor, and business analysis with an in-depth examination of a target company’s financial performance and capital structure. Our goal is to select the best industries, the best companies, and the best relative value among the many securities each company offers. Bain Capital Credit has a world-class team of investment professionals with extensive experience analyzing and managing high-yield investments.
CENTRAL DATA GOVERNANCE TEAM – VICE PRESIDENT
The successful candidate will join Bain Capital’s Boston office as a Vice President, with a mandate to build out a Central Data Governance framework from the ground up. This entails designing and implementing a sophisticated data governance framework spanning across capabilities and tools such as data quality checks, defining/tracking KPI’s, data lineage and data structure and organization (e.g. organized data hierarchies, well-maintained data dictionary and report catalogue, as well as data and report certification). Build out of new capabilities will extend to external vendor relationships and software, as well as extensive partnership with IT to implement.
The primary measure of success in this role is reduction and mitigation of data errors in reporting to investors and internal management reporting. It is critical to have a strong ability to perform deep dives and root cause analysis with effective mitigation planning skills leveraging the data governance tools we are building, process re-engineering and ability to establish effective oversight processes.
The candidate must have strong ability to define and socialize data quality progress and overall program progress to senior leadership, as well as define roles and responsibilities of data owners across functions. The candidate will be a catalyst in ensuring adoption and proper usage of the Data Governance framework across the Capital Markets business.
The successful candidate will report to the Global Head of Capital Markets Operations & Data Management. It is expected that the team will start with 2-4 FTEs and expand over time, and that we will partner with an external management consultant to kick-off the Data Governance Program.
Key elements to success in this role are:
- Leadership and ability to be a change agent
- In-depth understanding of underlying data and systems
- Expertise in the investment portfolios, fund structures and asset classes (specifically liquid credit, CLOs, private lending, distressed assets)
- Experience in standing up a successful data governance program at a similar institution
- Design and enable right-fit Data Governance structure
- Manage Data Domains and Data Owners across functions to ensure performing their responsibilities
- Manage data glossary, data catalogue, report inventory
- Establish Data Quality (DQ) KPIs, metrics, and remediation workflow
- Partner with Data Owners to define DQ KPIs, progress dashboards, and definition of “good data quality” for data sets
- Work with IT / Reporting team / Ops to implement DQ rules/checks inventory and escalations
- Track manual adjustments / touchpoints and set actions to mitigate
- Set Targets and Monitoring/Reporting Progress
- Work with Data Owners to set and meet DQ improvement targets within specific timeframes
- Work with IT / Reporting team to build senior stakeholder reporting / dashboards to improve transparency and track progress
- Hire and develop and sustain high performing team
- Work with Data Owners to define completeness and accuracy of data sets and establish sign-off processes
- Partner with IT to help prioritize competing requests and communicate priorities and decisions back to all stakeholders
- Track progress of specific data issues and data quality KPI’s
- Perform deep dives and root cause analysis
- Define & implement data certification process
- Define & implement a change management process
- Establish a governance and periodic review/audit process to ensure accuracy of data in reports
- Periodic reviews of business glossary, data dictionary, and reports catalog
- Ensure adoption and proper usage of Data Governance framework across the organization
- Evaluate specific areas that require process flow re-design across functions and key users
- 14+ years of experience in asset management or closely related field
- Experience standing up or maintaining data governance program at similar firm
- Comfort with a data-intensive and high transaction volume environment
- Deadline-driven mindset
- Strong process discipline: ability to design new processes & drive continuous improvement in existing ones
- Direct programming expertise not required; proven ability to manage programmers/engineers is required
- Proven experience collaborating effectively with multiple stakeholders/internal customers
- Strong communication and relationship management skills
Bain Capital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.