Vice President, Finance Operations Manager
About this role
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital...Description
About this role
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock Finance and Strategy consists of professionals in disciplines such as Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Treasury, Tax, Financial Controls, Sourcing and Vendor Management, Finance Platform Support, Controllers, Strategy, and Corporate Development. Within the Controllers’ Group, the Global Transfer Pricing (TP) Execution team record all of BlackRock’s Transfer Pricing entries on a US GAAP basis. The team currently process over 50 complex TP calculations per month and maintain audit ready documentation globally for all legal entity audits.
The Finance Operations Manager will be responsible for supporting the TP team in the calculation, journal posting and subsequent reporting and controls of all Global TP calculations.
This role provides the opportunity to work across multiple revenue and expense streams and also offers significant interaction with a variety of different stakeholders across the globe including Financial & Prudential Reporting, Finance Controls and Reporting Team, Tax (Corporate; Indirect and TP Policy); Global Revenues; Compensation accounting; Corporate costs; Treasury and Financial Platform Strategies teams.
We are looking for an upbeat and proactive individual to join the team. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, highly analytical, and proactive in motivating change to increase efficiency while maintaining effective controls. The purpose of the Transfer Pricing function is to ensure that each stand-alone legal entity has appropriate levels of Revenue and Expense such that the books and records are accurate for local statutory reporting (and audits) and we are responsible taxpayers in each jurisdiction within which we operate.
There is also a huge amount of opportunity for creativity within the role in terms of how we design calculations and automate controls and reporting to ensure audits and end users have maximum comfort around the TP entries.
This position will report to the Vice President, who is the Global head of Transfer Pricing Execution team, and is based in Edinburgh.
- Monthly calculation and review of both system (TM1 / TP Cube) and excel based Transfer Pricing calculations.
- Subsequent month over month commentary at a standalone legal entity level to support the TP calculations and provide stakeholders with adequate analysis and insight.
- Ensure strong controls (including SOX) and procedures are in place in relation to the general ledger.
- Ability to work on non BAU projects (e.g. system upgrades and /or calculation design and development).
- Close partnership with TP Policy team based in NY and Edinburgh.
- Provide timely responses to inquiries and special requests.
- Support with annual external audit and any cyclical internal audits.
- Management and coaching of a high performing team.
- The role interacts with both Finance and non-Finance teams globally, providing an opportunity to learn from different colleagues.
- The candidate will work with management whose aim is to develop individuals in the team specifically towards their career aspirations.
- Opportunity to join a high performing and well-established team with strong framework and controls already in place.
- Opportunity to assist with a range of projects/ad hoc tasks, allowing for variation in role across the TP team
- Opportunity to demonstrate added value via the continuing improvement of key TP processes and activities.
- As a team we rotate both the processing and review of the various TP calculations providing the successful candidate with constant opportunities to learn and be exposed to different parts of the business.
- This role can provide a strong foundation for further career progression within BlackRock particularly given the unusually broad business model and global stakeholder network.
- 7+ years of accounting experience.
- Qualified accountant CA/ACA/AACA/CIMA
- Strong control mindset (e.g. SOX).
- Proficiency in the full MS-Office suite: particularly MS-Excel. Detailed knowledge and experience of using Excel formulae/look-ups and pivot tables is required and an aptitude for learning new applications
- Strong written and verbal skills (often required to explain complex calculations to non TP stakeholders up to and including board level).
- Strong willingness to learn with a high-level of motivation and adaptability.
- Well-organized, methodical and detail orientated with an ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to synthesize information and summarize key issues.
- Ability to clearly and confidently communicate in verbal and written form, with all levels of the business
- Initiative and confidence to identify potential process improvement opportunities and helping deliver benefit to the business.
- Ability to manage vast amounts of data and make quick and accurate deductions.
- Ability to influence stakeholders and make impact when presenting or discussing issues.
- Ideally the candidate would have 7+ years previous experience of working within financial services, ideally within Investment Management, or public and multi-national firm.
- Experience of accounting systems, processes and controls is also beneficial.
To help you stay energized, engaged, and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO), so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our current operating model is 4+1 (4 days in office with the option/flexibility to work from home 1 day a week).
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.