Vice President, Legal - Financial Markets Advisory Attorney
About this role
The Digital Enterprise Legal team within BlackRock is seeking a lawyer with 4 to 8 years of experience in commercial negotiations and contracting to support BlackRock’s Financial Markets Advisory business, which supports financial institutions and government entities through consulting, analytical, capital markets and strategic advisory services. The role will include responsibility for negotiating service agreements for the provision of financial technology tools, advisory mandates and outsourcing services to banks, official institutions, insurance companies, corporate treasuries, asset managers, wealth managers, and other investment management entities on a worldwide basis. This role will also involve executing on projects crafted to improve business impact, mitigate legal and regulatory risk, and to enable BlackRock to best serve its clients.
The lawyer will work closely with the leadership teams across BlackRock’s Financial Markets Advisory business in support of strategic business development activities, ongoing client relationships and other product initiatives.
- Advise BlackRock’s functional and management teams on contracting, corporate and business law issues.
- Draft and negotiate agreements for the provisions of capital markets advisory services and outsourcing mandates.
- Draft and negotiate agreements for the provision of BlackRock’s proprietary analytics tools, including via BlackRock’s Aladdin platform.
- Responsibilities can be expanded to include drafting and negotiation of investment management agreements and agreements for regulated services for candidates with appropriate experience.
- Support the business development and product development processes by providing key inputs and advice.
- Support broader business requirements, including strategic partnership, vendor relationships and other organizational initiatives, as applicable.
- Liaise and work with other members of the Digital Enterprise Legal team and BlackRock’s compliance function where required.
- Work in a fast-paced and business-oriented environment with business groups throughout BlackRock.
- J.D. (US), or LL.M. (US) with state bar qualifications, with a minimum of four years’ experience, preferably at a major law firm (secondment experience a plus) or in-house at a corporate legal department.
- Corporate transactional, contracts negotiation and/or commercial transaction background, preferably in the financial services sector. Experience in financial markets, capital markets and financial sector M&A should be highlighted.
- Facility working as part of a global and cross-functional team, including legal and business colleagues in New York, London, Europe and Asia.
- Experience in direct client-facing contract negotiations required.
- Ability to learn and understand sophisticated technical and service offerings and requirements and apply knowledge in negotiation of service contracts.
- Ability to learn business requirements quickly, analyze legal and commercial risks and propose creative, business-oriented solutions.
- Ability to directly work with internal business and legal risk managers and subject matter experts to address the needs of a global business in a thoughtful and practical manner.
- Ability to effectively assess, calibrate, communicate, and handle evolving priorities in a multifaceted and dynamic environment.
- Language skills (in particular, French, German and Italian) would be useful and should be highlighted but are not required.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.