Java Full Stack Developer, Associate
About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that crafts the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, and solving some of the world’s most exciting challenges? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve sophisticated problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your outstanding skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
We invest and protect over $9 trillion (USD) of assets and have an extraordinary responsibility to our clients all over the world. Our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home, and improve their financial well-being.
Being a technologist at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most sophisticated financial companies and being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
What are Aladdin and Aladdin Engineering?
You will be working on BlackRock's investment operating system called Aladdin. Aladdin is used both internally within BlackRock and externally by many financial institutions. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading, and operations tools on a single platform to power informed decision-making and create a connective tissue for thousands of users investing worldwide.
Our development teams reside inside the Aladdin Engineering group. We collaboratively build the next generation of technology that changes the way information, people, and technology intersect for global investment firms. We build and package tools that manage trillions in assets and supports millions of financial instruments. We perform risk calculations and process millions of transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide!
Being a member of Aladdin Engineering, you will be:
- Tenacious: Work in a fast paced and highly complex environment
- Creative thinker: Analyze multiple solutions and deploy technologies in a flexible way.
- Great teammate: Think and work collaboratively and communicate effectively.
- Fast learner: Pick up new concepts and apply them quickly.
- Collaborate with team members in a multi-office, multi-country environment.
- Deliver high efficiency, high availability, concurrent and fault tolerant software systems.
- Significantly contribute to development of Aladdin’s global, multi-asset trading platform.
- Work with product management and business users to define the roadmap for the product.
- Design and develop innovative solutions to complex problems, identifying issues and roadblocks.
- Apply validated quality software engineering practices through all phases of development.
- Ensure resilience and stability through quality code reviews, unit, regression and user acceptance testing, dev ops and level two production support.
- Be a leader with vision and a partner in brainstorming solutions for team productivity, efficiency, guiding and motivating others.
- Drive a strong culture by bringing principles of inclusion and diversity to the team and setting the tone through specific recruiting, management actions and employee engagement.
- B.S. / M.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related subject area
- 4+ years of relevant experience
Skills and Experience:
- A proven foundation in core Java and related technologies, with OO skills and design patterns
- Track record building high quality software with design-focused and test-driven approaches
- Strong knowledge of Open-Source technology stack (Spring, Hibernate, Maven, JUnit, etc.).
- Experience with relational database and/or NoSQL Database (e.g., Apache Cassandra)
- Great analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- Some experience or a real interest in finance, investment processes, and/or an ability to translate business problems into technical solutions.
Nice to have and opportunities to learn:
- Exposure to building microservices and APIs ideally with REST, Kafka or gRPC.
- Experience working in an agile development team or on open-source development projects.
- Experience with optimization, algorithms or related quantitative processes.
- Exposure to high scale distributed technology like Kafka, Mongo, Ignite, Redis
- Experience with Cloud platforms like Microsoft Azure, AWS, Google Cloud
- Experience with DevOps and tools like Azure DevOps
- Experience with AI-related projects/products or experience working in an AI research environment.
- A degree, certifications or opensource track record that shows you have a mastery of software engineering principles.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.