Associate, Business Audit
About this role
Internal Audit’s primary mission is to provide assurance to the Board of Directors and Executive Management that BlackRock’s businesses are well managed and meeting strategic, operational and risk management objectives. The team engages with senior leaders and all of BlackRock’s individual business units globally to understand and advise on the risks in their business, evaluate the effectiveness of key processes and assist in the design of best practices that can improve their results. Internal Audit reports directly to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, and our work builds confidence that BlackRock will meet its obligations to clients, shareholders, employees and other stakeholders.
Our Audit Teams “At a Glance”
With teams in the US, Europe, and Asia, the Business Audit Team performs audits covering all BlackRock business units, including investment and asset management, risk management, operations, finance, and legal and compliance.
The Technology Audit Team, also in the US, Europe and Asia, performs design review and testing related to technology controls across application systems and infrastructure components such as databases, operating systems, data centers and messaging platforms.
The Data Analytics (DA) team within Technology Audit leverages BlackRock data and various data science, business intelligence, and analytics methods to support the activities of the audit department. The DA team participates in both business and technology audit execution, builds and maintains an inventory of self-service tools for the auditors, supports the risk assessment and annual planning process, and helps manage the department’s operations through the development of impactful management information. The DA team is a driver of innovation for the department and helps auditors gain efficiencies and insights through the work that they do.
SAO (Strategy, Analytics & Operations)
This group is responsible for coordinating activities and communication across the global team, managing and driving the strategic planning process, implementing process innovations, and ensuring appropriate policies/methodology and procedures are in place. The SAO team plays a meaningful part in the development and continuous improvement of the Global team. The team maintains independence from the other audit teams by reporting directly to the Global Head of Audit and does not participate in traditional audit reviews or issues management.
The Internal Audit team performs regional and global audits covering all BlackRock business units, including investment management, sales, trading, client business, risk management, operations, finance, and legal and compliance.
BlackRock’s Internal Audit group is seeking an Associate to support the execution of the firm’s annual audit plan and advisory activities, while developing in-depth knowledge of BlackRock’s businesses and products.
The Internal Audit Associate will have the following responsibilities:
– Supporting a variety of audit project activities, such as:
- Engaging with BlackRock stakeholders to understand and document key processes and risks within a specific business unit
- Preparing process narratives and briefing memos
- Evaluating process design and operations to analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of these processes
- Investigating and escalating issues identified during testing
- Validating the remediation of issues
- Performing regulatory and industry-driven audit reviews
– Participating in ongoing business monitoring and optimization activities, such as:
- Identifying emerging firm-wide and business risks, and understanding key changes in strategies and operating model through ongoing engagements with business management.
- Completing annual risk assessments of business areas
- Contributing to projects aimed at optimizing business processes and control activities
- Providing advisory services during the development of new businesses and systems
- Leading or contributing to global departmental projects
- Developing and maintaining working relationships with BlackRock businesses and support functions, including acting as the primary Internal Audit business engagement liaison for one or more lines of business
- Travel to regional and international locations may be required
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in finance, economics, accounting, or business management is preferred. BA/BS, or equivalent is required
- 3+ years of experience; preferably in financial services and/or internal audit, including an understanding of financial instruments and asset management processes and risks
- Interest in broad exposure to investment management, sales, trading, operations, risk management, finance and compliance activities in the asset management industry
- Proficient understanding of current regulatory and industry events
- Relevant professional certifications are a plus (CIA. CFSA, CISA)
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, listening) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with peers and business partners
- Intellectual curiosity and healthy skepticism
- Ability to synthesize and articulate complex ideas
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Strong project management, organizational, and presentation skills
- Familiarity with Excel
- Commitment and strong work ethic
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.