Lighting Designer - Contract
Lighting Designer - Contract
We are looking for a creative Lighting Designer to join our established team in London or Edinburgh on a contract basis. This is a great opportunity to work on some truly amazing projects around the world along with a diverse mix of schemes in the UK.
Buro Happold are at the forefront of change, pushing everyone in our industry to embrace and achieve Net Zero. Our well-stablished Lighting team has a crucial contributing role in the preservation of energy, the reduction of carbon emissions and the overall protection of the environment through conscious and innovative design.
Buro Happold’s lighting team provide a complete lighting design service, from concept to commissioning, in which creative thinking is balanced with a solid understanding of technical, environmental, and socio-economic principles to meet our clients KPIs and for the benefit of local communities globally.
What role is on offer?
Due to the ongoing growth of our portfolio of outstanding projects, our team has an opportunity for an intermediate Lighting Designer to join on a Contractor/ temporary basis. Working with Lighting professionals from a variety of backgrounds, you will have the opportunity to use and advance your skills within our friendly, close-knit team. Recent projects are broad in range and location and include the award winning English National Ballet (ENB), the Piece Hall in Halifax, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club -THFC, the Louvre Abu Dhabiand Sustainability focused projects (such as Terra - The Sustainability Pavilion). Ongoing projects include a number of Lighting Masterplans (such as Wimbledon Park), cultural buildings (such as The BBC Music Studios, Sadler’s Wells and V&A East), urban infrastructure (such as New Danube Bridge), and public realm/ landscape, mix-use (such as Blackwall Yard) among others, offering a rich diversity of projects to be a great part of.
The individual will work alongside our senior/ Associate lighting designers, assisting in the delivery of creative and technical lighting design solutions to our iconic and challenging projects in the UK and International.
What do I bring?
Ideally you will have a passion for lighting and creative design, along with a sound foundation of lighting design and technical experience. Working with a variety of teams you will also have honed your conceptual and design skills and will be able to communicate ideas in both writing and visual sketch form. We envision that you will also have strong specification, 2D/3D drawing and modelling skills, controls systems and commissioning knowledge. Please note you will need to evidence this through submitting a professional portfolio to accompany your CV.
- Candidates should hold a professional degree or master’s degree (or equivalent) in Lighting or a related field such as architecture, design or engineering.
- Solid foundation of relevant professional experience (3 years minimum) in the lighting design industry or equivalent.
- Demonstrable track record of designing and delivering high level creative and technical designs for a variety of projects across various sectors, including interior and exterior artificial lighting and daylight design.
- Must be creative and have a sound technical knowledge of lighting and products specification.
- Have advanced design, calculations and relevant codes/ regulations knowledge.
- Software skills must include: Dialux, Relux, Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft OS, AutoCAD and BIM/ Revit
- Work competently on an independent and team basis with good time management.
- A positive and proactive attitude towards meeting multiple project deadlines and working in an integrated manner within a multi-disciplinary environment is essential.
- Association with at least one of the main lighting bodies, including relevant professional membership(s).
- Experience with daylight related software including Rhino, Grasshopper, Ladybug and Honeybee plug-ins would be an advantage.
- An interest in lighting’s impact on the exterior environment, the local biodiversity, the loss of night skies and the subsequent role of social/ environmental and economic sustainability.
- To provide design assistance to Senior/ Associate designers.
- Should have lighting design experience within the lighting design/engineering profession to be able to progress design development and coordination with medium level of supervision.
- Will have a passion for lighting and creative design, keeping up-to-date with new trends and technologies, which can be demonstrated through high-quality project work.
- Collaborate with the team to deliver and meet multiple deadlines; and work in a flexible, integrated and cost-effective manner.
- Support work production as instructed by Senior/ Associate Designers.
- Provide a high quality informed technical lighting design and creative lighting design to projects.
- Present at Design Team meetings and liaising with project design teams when required.
- Prepare and take responsibility for design work from Concept and preliminary studies through Detail design for Tender.
- Production of design materials, such as concept design documents, design notes, report writing, AutoCAD drawings/ Revit 3D + details and technical luminaire specifications.
- Provide professional lighting layouts, sections and details using AutoCAD or Revit to allow a clear understanding of the concept principles.
- Carry out sustainability studies for lighting equipment options to inform/ validate the design proposals.
- Review of accurate quote information and detailed installation, commissioning, and operational information by others.
- Ensure senior staff are kept informed of important and relevant service/design decisions and challenges. And ensuring all relevant BH staff are informed of client matters.
- Quality Assurance (QA) and continually ensuring that practices, policies, strategy, and services represent the client’s best interests and that BH policy is in keeping with current legislation, British Standards and Codes of Practice etc.
Join us to find out what you’re really capable of.
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.#LI-JA1 #Hybrid
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.