We are looking for a Senior Ecologist to join our expanding team. In this role, you will be able to be part of a small team that has a key influence on the outcomes of a wide variety of diverse and interesting projects across the UK - from urban renewal and regeneration schemes to helping local authorities integrate nature-based solutions for climate adaptation and resilience into their planning frameworks.
This role can be based in any of our UK offices (Bath, London, Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh) with hybrid working arrangements to suit, and can be offered on a permanent or contract basis.’
Your skills & experience
We’re looking for someone that has experience of working in UK ecological consultancy and a good general knowledge of legislation and policy with regards to UK ecology and protected species. In addition, you will be able to think laterally to advise on biodiversity solutions that provide wider climate and social benefits and discuss these in design team workshops and with clients. Specific skills include:
- Experience of undertaking site walkovers, Preliminary Ecological Appraisal Reports, ecology chapters for EIAs
- Knowledge of protected species issues and ecological wildlife legislation and guidance
- An interest, or experience in Biodiversity Net Gain or nature-based solutions for climate change
- Good report writing skills and attention to detail
- An interest, or experience in, mentoring more junior staff to help them develop their own careers
- The ability to manage projects proactively to ensure that clients are informed of any issues and potential solutions as early as possible in the planning process.
- Commitment to advising on best practice across all of our projects and keeping up-to-date with relevant ecological legislation and policy guidance
- Positive and collaborative attitude
- Reviewing site data and carrying out site walkovers to identify ecological constraints and opportunities on projects
- Preparing, and/or managing others to prepare, Preliminary Ecological Appraisal Reports and Ecology Chapters for Environmental Statements
- Managing and mentoring more junior team members
- Identifying ecological mitigation requirements and opportunities for enhancement in accordance with planning policies and legislation
- Preparing Biodiversity Net Gain calculations and reporting
- Attending workshops and sharing ideas with design teams
- Developing proposals and providing input into marketing materials
- Working within the wider team to ensure continuous improvement of our projects in relation to positive biodiversity outcomes and related ESG commitments.
What’s in it for me?
You will not normally be required to undertake surveys outside of normal office hours or work on large-scale infrastructure projects. Instead, you will be a key member of a multidisciplinary project team, able to have a genuine influence over the integration of biodiversity into urban regeneration projects and wider sustainability and climate resilience strategies.
The existing team’s ethos is supportive, collaborative and encourages independent thinking. It prides itself on the consistent use of best practice and the quality of its work. If you're looking to make a positive impact and create real change you will be rewarded with an excellent salary and access to extensive learning and development opportunities, generous pension contributions, private medical, life, dental and travel insurance, flexible leave and other allowances, and more.
Buro Happold values flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.