Building Services Engineer (Life Sciences)
Building Services Engineer Life Sciences
We are currently recruiting for Building Services Engineers to focus on laboratory, R&D and advanced manufacturing projects in the UK and further afield.
With the support and mentorship of the UK Science & Technology Sector Leader, Richard Walder, you will be given the opportunity to play a crucial role in project leadership, technical innovation (e.g. computational design or sustainability standards), and even business development.
This is a fantastic opportunity to contribute to a growing sector and play an externally facing role in an innovative building engineering practice renowned globally for driving sustainable design outcomes on pinnacle projects - so much so that we've won the CIBSE Building Performance Engineer of the Year award for four years running!
With us, your preconceptions will be tested, your resilience built, and your career enriched.
The role could see you working as a lead mechanical designer, senior mechanical support in a large project team, or being a job leader on smaller schemes and taking on project technical and financial responsibility for the performance of the MEP discipline.
You will be working on some of the most technically challenging projects in our portfolio - recent examples include the UK’s tallest laboratory building, the Sir Michael Uren Biomedical Engineering Hub in London, Jack Copland Centre in Edinburgh, a large scale semiconductor fab in Cambridge and Ri.Med Biomedical and Biotechnology Centre in Palermo. There may also be opportunities to work in other sectors in which Buro Happold operates.
- Develop concept designs for MEP systems.
- Lead mechanical design and the co-ordination of mechanical, electrical and public health systems with each other as well as with other disciplines.
- Embrace technologies to improve performance and sustainability to meet to net zero targets by 2030.
- Undertake detailed mechanical engineering building services design and calculations, using Revit and IES software to support your knowledge of exemplar building design and performance, as well as an appreciation of a designs embodied carbon.
- Prepare calculations and design drawings to detail level, predominantly in the Science & Technology sector.
- Prepare technical specifications and schedules and design development reports.
- Plan and manage BIM documentation of design work in collaboration with the BIM team.
- Liaising with clients and facility users to confirm design requirements.
- Assist in undertaking due diligence work on behalf of clients
- Assist senior design team members in competitions and bids.
Outside of design, what else will I do?
- Manage project finances, monitor scope, and ensure quality.
- Plan and organise your workload and that of junior members, to ensure that you are meeting clients’ expectations.
- Attending client, site and external design team meetings.
- Participation in wider non-project initiatives around topics such as design quality, digital engineering, sustainability, etc.
- Line management and mentorship of more junior engineers or graduates.
You will be encouraged to build on your technical experience and develop your wider skillsets to progress to more senior positions over time and cement your position as a key sector specialist.
We’ll help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation.
As an experienced Building Services Engineer with some exposure to relevant projects, it is expected that you can demonstrate the following...
- Extensive building services design experience in an MEP consultancy, ideally with a mechanical background;
- Some experience on relevant projects would be advantageous – laboratories, R&D facilities, or advanced manufacturing facilities. However, we would also be open to candidates with transferrable sector experience, e.g. healthcare.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in engineering.
- Ideally you will be chartered or working towards chartership with a relevant institution - e.g. CIBSE, IMechE, etc.
- Proficient in Revit; digital engineering skills (e.g. coding) would be a big plus.
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world-class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
We support hybrid working and we would encourage our employees to spend 2-3 days per week in the office. We would ideally like you to be based in London or Edinburgh, however we are open to hearing from candidates located elsewhere in the UK.
Join us to find out what you’re really capable of
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.