Building Performance Modeling & Analytics
Building Performance Modeling & Analytics
We are looking for an Associate Principal or Principal to join our Sustainability & Analytics consulting team. Your focus will be leading projects and managing/mentoring the Analytics pod who delivers energy, carbon, and daylighting modeling services.
Project responsibilities will vary by project but are anticipated to include project and client relationship management, technical and analysis strategy, the use of modeling software and tools to evaluate or validate design recommendations, and technical guidance and integration across the project’s sustainability focus areas (e.g., carbon, energy, water, waste, wellness, etc.) throughout design and construction phases.
The candidate must have established expertise and credibility regarding sustainability topics and the built environment, with experience in business development and client relationship management. An entrepreneurial attitude and desire to grow the analytics team, based upon strategic leadership and mentorship, is critical.
What will success look like in this role?
- Rely on your ability to influence design.
- Clients describe you as a trusted advisor.
- Junior employees seek you out as a development mentor.
- You meet or exceed project expectations and financial targets.
What will you be doing?
This role is comprised of three primary focus areas:
- Take the role of project lead on single or multi-disciplinary projects.
- Lead the sustainability sub-team on complex building-scale sustainability projects.
- Direct the sustainable design strategy and analytics for energy, carbon, water, and/or waste.
- Ensure reports, presentations, models and drawings are produced to internal and client expectations.
- Review reports at junior levels, highlighting areas for potential development, where necessary.
- Work within an agreed budget, raising and/or resolving any concerns with spend and profit targets.
- Ensure maintenance of ongoing learning and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Take responsibility for resource and performance management and technical leadership:
- Manage weekly project staffing across the analytics team based on availability, skills, and office locations
- Manage the performance of ~9 person Analytics team (direct supervisor of ~4 people) including career development, engagement, and training needs
- Define the strategy and lead implementation to advance the regional modelling team deliverables, processes, and innovation including:
- Develop and maintain a computational toolbox
- Oversee the QA/QC process
- Maintain the Building Performance Database and AIA 2030 commitment requirements
- Organize training materials
- Standardize templates, tools, and workflows
- Lead the analytics team to create value for our clients through real-time analysis, storytelling, and understanding value propositions
- Act as an inspiring leader in the spirit of Buro Happold culture and expected behaviors.
- Seek opportunities to contribute to the wider firm through bids, relationships, or the global discipline.
- Utilize experience of sector/region/specialism to inform projects and educate junior staff.
- Effectively collaborate with project disciplines to influence design and meet project/client goals.
- Represent Buro Happold to clients, architects and collaborators, demonstrating thought leadership and strong consultancy skills in the market.
- Support proposals, interviews, and related business development activities.
- Take into consideration other disciplines requirements within proposed solutions.
- Identify opportunities to promote other Buro Happold service offerings, where appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 15+ years of experience
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree a plus
- RA or PE preferred; LEED AP, AIA, ILFI Ambassador a plus
- Strong facilitation and team leadership capability
- Effective communication capability
- Understanding of relevant policy and regulation
- Strong external network to support you in the role
- Proven work winning capability
- Well-versed with of multiple energy modeling software programs, including extensive experience with IES-VE
- Experience with multiple 3d modeling software programs including Revit
- Experience using computation to improve multi-software energy modeling workflows
What we offer:
- Salary range of $150,000 to $210,000. This will be determined based on factors such as geographic location, skills, education, and/or experience
- Generous benefits package
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Generous PTO (4-5 weeks depending on position) in addition to 10 paid holidays
- 401k with company match
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Hybrid working & summer hours
- Reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees
- Global network of experts
- Learning and development opportunities
- Be a part of our Young Employees Forum and our Diversity and Inclusion Forum
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.