Buro Happold's Commercial and Legal team have an excellent opportunity for a Solicitor to join the team in our Leeds office.
Buro Happold is a renowned multi-disciplinary, global engineering consultancy with an in-house legal team that understands the immense value of flexibility in both work culture and personal lives.
We are creating an exceptional opportunity for a Solicitor with experience of working in the legal construction discipline. If you're seeking a role that fits your part-time availability, prefer a four-day workweek for that perfect work-life balance, or require a fixed-term contract to align with your personal commitments, Buro Happold is committed to tailoring a work arrangement to suit your needs.
But here's where it gets even better: Buro Happold embraces a forward-thinking approach to remote work. Imagine excelling as a Solicitor from the comfort of your home. With only one day per week in the office. We provide this flexibility level to allow you to achieve a healthy work-life balance and foster innovation, collaboration, and personal growth within the legal field.
We understand that a person's true potential flourishes when they can thrive while maintaining individuality.
So, if you're ready to unlock your potential, Buro Happold is here to provide an inclusive and flexible environment where you can make a meaningful impact as a Solicitor.
The role centres around providing pragmatic, commercially sound legal and business advice in a role where you will be seen as a true and valued business partner. You will have the opportunity to develop relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders as well as clients and collaborators of the business.
This role represents an excellent opportunity for a solicitor with an interest in construction and engineering law and projects to join an experienced and friendly team and to take ownership of the legal advice and support provided to a fast-growing, exciting and in-demand offering of the Buro Happold business. Your activities will contribute to the mitigation of commercial and contractual risks associated with Buro Happold’s global portfolio of projects.
- Reviewing, reporting upon, negotiating and finalising a wide range of contractual documentation (including but not limited to consultancy and sub-consultancy agreements, collateral warranties, novation agreements, letters of reliance, framework agreements, letters of intent, joint venture agreements, and teaming agreements).
- Advising upon and assisting to ensure relevant corporate governance rules are adhered to by the business.
- Advising the business on the successful and correct operation of its contracts and legal frameworks.
- Assisting the business with claims and disputes (including appropriate communications with insurers).
- Assisting with developing, and implementing, systems and procedures to enhance efficiency of the Commercial and Legal Team and the company as a whole.
- Assisting with provision of training to the wider business on a range of general commercial and contractual topics.
- Ensuring appropriate support is provided to the teams, Project Principals and Project Directors in closing out contractual negotiations.
- Working collaboratively and liaising with other business service functions where necessary to ensure the overall aim of the Buro Happold strategy can be met and at all times taking an inclusive joined up approach to tackling issues.
- Assist with developing and implementing systems and procedures to enhance efficiency of the Commercial and Legal Team and the company as a whole.
Your skills and experience:
- You will have experience of drafting contracts and the commercial negotiation skills.
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and work under pressure.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to work and cooperate effectively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the service.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms to staff at all levels of the company and external organisations, maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Able to work on own initiative and be pro-active in giving advice.
- Good organisational and administrative skills and ability to work on multiple tasks and ensure work is delivered on time.
- A clear personal commitment to Buro Happold’s customer care policies and an understanding of their relevance to this post.
- A clear understanding of equal opportunities and their relevance to Buro Happold.
- Legally qualified with 2-9 years post qualification experience.
- Experience in construction and engineering law is preferable but not essential and candidates with demonstrable experience in general commercial law will also be considered.
In return for your knowledge and expertise, you will receive a favourable salary and benefits package with a generous holiday entitlement of 25 days per annum (exclusive of Bank Holidays). Also offered are hybrid working arrangements, a company pension scheme, private medical insurance, car allowance and life assurance.
If this Associate Solicitor job sounds like the right career opportunity for you, please get in touch with Buro Happold today. We look forward to hearing from you! #LI-CO1 #LI-Hybrid
Join us to find out what you’re really capable of.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.