We are looking for a Waste Consultant or Senior Waste Consultant with significant experience in urban planning, civil engineering, or master planning to deliver innovative client solutions that foster the circular economy in the built environment.
This role will be Hybrid working of 3 days per week in either our Bath, London, Manchester or Edinburgh offices.
Buro Happold’s Waste Operations, Logistics and Flow team advise on policy, waste/goods generation rates, goods delivery/flows, waste collection, storage and treatment systems. The team is made up of engineers and scientists and have worked on the design of over 260 projects in 40 different countries, each with varying degrees of waste management requirements and or limitations. The work involves coordination with many other engineering and scientific disciplines, becoming involved in a range of built environment projects all with a view to improve the way that people live and connect with their local environment.
We are looking for a new team member to join us in one of our central city offices in Edinburgh, London, Bath or Manchester. This role will include working with the team to develop waste and logistics strategies, producing waste generation calculations, back of house route planning, selection of waste and goods storage and transport methods and waste treatment options. We work closely with other engineering and scientific disciplines, leading a range of built environment projects that range from sport venues, museums to entire new cities.
Buro Happold takes a people centric approach to cross discipline working. Some of our work is overseas and there will be opportunities to travel and experience new systems, cultures and ways of living - all adding to your experience and career progression. As such, we encourage you to be focused on new thinking, tackling waste, reducing resource use and facilitating better urban metabolism.
We are looking for candidates to demonstrate the following:
- Passion and enthusiasm for protecting the environment
- An interest/understanding in behavioural sciences in the context of sustainable waste management
- An interest for working with architects and design teams of the built environment
- Data analysis skills, including auditing, analysis and presenting waste data, e.g., waste estimations and forecasting
- Ability to communicate in an effective and confident manner
- Excellent demonstrable evidence in report writing
- Business acumen and ability to network be capable of maintaining relationships both within and outside the company; and
- Ability to manage tasks and projects successfully
- Contribute to developing creative ideas, strategies and new service offers which aim to better manage waste and products in new developments
- Carrying out studies, research and analysis relating to waste and goods management for specific projects
- Technical report writing including contributing to waste and logistics strategies, audits, site visits and design reports
- Create presentations using infographics/imagery to show complex data visually
- Project management including budgets for specific assignments and projects.
- Good knowledge of waste collection and treatment systems
- Highly proficient in MS Office
- Excellent report writing
- Good time management
- Ability to work on your own or part of a wider team who may be based elsewhere
- Innovative, inquisitive and desire to think laterally to solve complex problems
- Ability to interpreting engineering and architectural drawings and visualisations
- Confident presenter
- Time management to work on multiple projects
- Good client management skills and ability to win work
Proficient with CAD, Bluebeam and Illustrator.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified to science or engineering degree level in a waste, environmental, planning, geography, sustainable development or related discipline.
- Working towards or have achieved relevant Chartership.
What's in it for me?
The chance to take on a leadership role in a growing team, working alongside various environmental and engineering disciplines on some of the most significant projects in the UK.
Join us to find out what you’re really capable of.
Described by our clients as 'passionate', 'innovative', and 'collaborative': Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that for over 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value-led building and city solutions for an ever-changing world. Having worked on every continent, our clients include more than 90% of the world's leading architectural practices and we have collaborated with global organisations such as the United Nations, The World Bank, and UNESCO. Through our global community of driven, world-leading engineering and consulting professionals we deliver elegant solutions for buildings and cities that seek to address the major problems facing societies today. Follow us @burohappold and find out more at www.burohappold.com.
Buro Happold value flexible working as an important part of the way we work. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers. #LI-TG1 #LI-Hybrid
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.