Graduate Transport & Mobility Consultant - Bath or London
Graduate Transport & Mobility Consultant - Bath or London
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. This is an exciting opportunity to join our Transport & Mobility team in Bath or new Old Street office in London.
We have a hybrid working policy in place for all staff members, the successful candidate can be based in our new London office or Bath office. Please indicate your preference upon application.
About the Transport Team
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented graduate level Transport and Mobility Engineer to join our Transport and Mobility team.
Our transport team works across a variety of exciting projects around the world, with work varying from strategic master planning at city, area or development scale to transport assessments and infrastructure design at the planning stage.
To find out more about our Transport and Mobility discipline, please click here.
What sort of projects would I work on?
The team workload is split evenly between development projects in the UK and projects overseas. The type of work varies from strategic Master planning at city scale to the preparation of Transport Assessments for projects in the UK. There will therefore be opportunities for overseas travel.
Recent projects that our team have led the Transport input for, include:
Middle East - A number of major developments (regional plans, mega resorts, city and district plans) associated with the 2030 Saudi Transformation Plan, including The Red Sea Project, AlUla Regional Framework Plan, and Riyadh’s King Salman Park. Also, the Al Daayan Healthcare Campus in Qatar and associated template for global Hospitals of the Future, ongoing work on Sabah Al Ahmad Sea City, and the Museum of the Future, Dubai.
North America - Make Way for Lower Manhattan, a scheme to improve the quality of the streetscape in Lower Manhattan, New York.
South America - Mixed-use masterplan for Praderas in Chile.
Asia - UK PACT projects for transitioning Indonesia to low carbon transport. Also, a new headquarter district for one of China’s largest technology providers, and a new island resort in Japan.
Europe - SAP Garden Arena, Munich, and the City West 2040 Mobility Strategy for sustainable and equitable travel in a central district of Berlin.
UK - A number of urban development projects such as the expansion of the All England Lawn Tennis Club (Wimbledon), Mayfield Development, Manchester, Thameside West in London’s Royal Docks, Vauxhall Cross mixed use development in London, Lords Cricket Ground: redevelopment of the Compton and Edrich stands, and White City Living near Westfield in west London.
- Currently pursuing or already completed a degree in a transport related subject such as;
- Transport Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Urban Design, Urban Planning
- Geography (or other relevant subject not listed)
- Particularly interested in transportation, and with a passion for emerging transport and mobility trends and technologies, engineering design, sustainability and making a meaningful contribution to society.
- Possessing initiative and able to thrive in a team environment.
- Able to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible manner, verbally and in writing.
- Comfortable executing project deliverables within a given timeframe.
- Ideally familiar with using GIS software to analyse and visualize geospatial data.
- Graphic skills are desirable, and experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign) is preferred.
- Able to research, filter and compile information on a range of topics for multiple audience types.
- Comfortable undertaking numerical analysis.
What's in it for you?
- Broad insight within a team, mentored by a subject matter expert. The opportunity to experience our culture and value, and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold.
- A plethora of interesting and challenging projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
- Opportunity to be supported (or even join) our Young Employee's Forum in your local office, join bi-annual events/trips, and contribute your experience and learnings to the next generation of engineers through various outreach activities.
- Our Graduate Connect program allows our Graduates to learn the fundamentals of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
- We see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
Please see our Early Careers Candidate Pack for further guidance and information.
How long does the process take?
The recruitment timeline can vary depending on the role and team you are applying to. Successful applications are progressed to interview stage within 2-3 months from the closing date of the advert, but it is good to know that the whole process can take up to 6 months. We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered, however, due to the volume of applications received and the size of our team, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.
Interested? Intrigued? Inspired?
This role is for current students or recent graduates for an Autumn 2024 start.
Be you at Buro Happold
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals. We actively promote inclusivity to enable every individual to reach their full potential, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We are working to change the lack of representation of minority groups in the built environment, and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.