Chief Financial Officer
Chief Financial Officer
We are looking for a CFO for our US Region. This position can be based out of any of our US office locations. We offer hybrid working!
A commercially focused and autonomous leadership role to ensure all parts of the business are adopting best practice, working together to make our projects as successful as they can be and adopting consistent strategies to improve our project delivery and operational efficiency. Which includes tight financial & operational control, managing all aspects of the finance and project operational function along with full decision support to the leadership team. The US is the 2nd largest region in the Buro Happold practice with ambitious growth plans that include acquisitions. This is a strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role as the ‘trusted advisor’ to the US Managing Director.
The role will involve:
- Driving all aspects of the commercial and financial performance of the business unit.
- Manage commercial risk to ensure that risks are identified, evaluated, and mitigated or escalated where appropriate.
- Management of the Project Operations team ensuring that they are providing an efficient service to the engineering disciplines.
- Build collaborative relationships with stakeholders including Project Principals, RDLs, Office Directors, Partners, and the Regional MD to ensure alignment to the US strategy.
- Support in driving efficiencies in ways of working and with the project and engineering teams.
- Key business partner to the MD and US Board members, driving strategy and formulating tactical plans.
- Control over all commercial aspects of our projects including bids, operational controls, cash, credit, and risk management.
- Identify and drive operational improvements in process and systems throughout the finance and Project Operations team
- Control and management of all commercial and financial aspects of running the US region.
- Lead the business and financial integration of any companies that are acquired in the US.
- Management of the finance function includes the provision of:
- Monthly management and project information
- Quarterly financial reporting and the associated controls
- Financial and Commercial decision support for senior executives and engineering teams
- Control the integrity of financial data, particularly revenue recognition.
- Control of US payroll & transactional teams (Accounts payable & accounts receivable)
- Control of local finance systems and processes
- Preparation of budgets and forecasts.
- Preparing and delivering board reports
- Control of and management of regional office costs
- Compilation of any ad hoc reports and information requests
- Liaison with other Group and Regional finance teams
- Overall responsibility for the US Finance team and the Project Operations Managers
- Carry out duties with due regard to the Buro Happold Equality & Diversity objectives.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in highly commercial environment with at least 2 years operating at a similar level of responsibility. Preferably within the AEC industry. CPA a plus
- Can demonstrate proactive commercial control over a wide range of situations
- Outstanding interpersonal and networking skills with good stakeholder management and the ability to enable change and drive business improvement
- Experience of driving implementation of strategy and change
- Good project management skills with ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Proven ability to effectively lead finance teams within multiple office environment
- Highly organized with the proven ability to prioritize and work to tight deadlines.
- Confident and proactive, with the ability to take the lead in challenging situations
- Resilient with excellent communication skills and demonstrate an attention to detail.
- Experience of professional services or the construction industry would be an advantage
- Experience with Mergers and Acquisitions would be an advantage.
- Intermediate Excel skills, (VLookups, Pivot Tables) required
- Experience of the following would be an advantage:
- Long Term project accounting
- Working as part of an international, matrix managed business
- Consulting Engineering or Professional Services business
What we Offer
- Salary range of $120,000 to $180,000 (Associate Principal) or $140,000 to $250,000 (Principal). This will be determined based on factors such as geographic location, skills, education, and/or experience
- Generous benefits package
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Generous PTO (5 weeks) in addition to 10 paid holidays
- 401k with company match
- Hybrid working & summer hours
- Reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees
- Global network of experts
- Learning and development opportunities
- Be a part of our Young Employees Forum, Diversity and Inclusion Forum, BH Women's Network, and/or our Black at BH ERG
Why Buro Happold
Buro Happold is an international, integrated consultancy of engineers, consultants and advisers, with a presence in 30+ locations worldwide, over 70 partners and 2,200 employees. For over 45 years we have built a world-class reputation for delivering creative, value led solutions for an ever challenging world. https://www.burohappold.com/.
As an organization we strive for progress and are committed to finding new and better ways to deliver elegant solutions. We recognize that this can only happen if our people can keep up with, create and implement the latest developments in technology and ideas. We offer learning and development opportunities at every level, to help shape exciting and personally satisfying careers and ensure our engineers stay at the cutting edge of industry thought.
A place for everyone
Buro Happold values individual's flexible approaches to working patterns as an important part of the way you work and achieve balance. We welcome applications from those who are seeking flexibility in their careers.
Our exceptional portfolio of projects is the result of the diversity of thought, identities, backgrounds and experiences that shape us. Appreciating each other’s differences is key, we want employees to feel they don’t have to mask elements of their identity to thrive.
We are working to change the lack of representation of marginalised groups in the built environment and are particularly keen to hear from anyone who feels they are underrepresented in the industry. We have much to learn from one another. Embracing difference allows us to develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Please let us know if there are any adjustments we could make to the application process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can work with you to support you throughout your application.