Director, Portfolio Human Capital
About General Atlantic
General Atlantic is a leading global growth investor with more than four decades of experience providing capital and strategic support for over 500 growth companies throughout its history. Established in 1980 to partner with visionary entrepreneurs and deliver lasting impact, the firm combines a collaborative global approach, sector specific expertise, a long-term investment horizon and a deep understanding of growth drivers to partner with great entrepreneurs and management teams to scale innovative businesses around the world. General Atlantic has approximately $83 billion in assets under management inclusive of all products as of December 31, 2023, and more than 280 investment professionals based in New York, Amsterdam, Beijing, Hong Kong, Jakarta, London, Mexico City, Miami, Mumbai, Munich, San Francisco, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore, Stamford and Tel Aviv. For more information on General Atlantic, please visit: www.generalatlantic.com.
The firm is seeking a Director to join the Portfolio Human Capital (PHC) team, based in our New York office and reporting to Samantha Smith, Principal. The PHC team works directly with General Atlantic's portfolio companies on various strategic and growth initiatives as it relates to their talent agenda.
- Lead and project manage C-suite search assignments in close partnership with GA PHC, portfolio company management teams and GA investment professionals
- Where appropriate, independently run searches for portfolio companies including identifying, sourcing and qualifying senior executives. Specifically:
- Advise on scoping of senior roles and building position specifications
- Analyze and quickly breakdown new industries, market segments and competitive landscapes to better understand the talent ecosystem in support of our portfolio company needs
- Based on a pre-defined spec, develop a research strategy that outlines targeted industries and companies
- Gain an understanding of the functional breakdown and roles within various executive structures and serve as an expert to the team on the markets/talent pools researched
- Proactively engage, assess and introduce qualified executives to GA investment professionals and portfolio companies
- Build an evolving external network, with a focus on potential future talent that may be suitable for current and future portfolio initiatives
- Support the team in conducting quantitative and qualitative management assessments to identify capability gaps and opportunities for learning & development
- Identifying opportunities for syndicating processes across the portfolio, to enable sharing of best practices and cost synergy where appropriate
- Leverage and utilize best practice global tools and capabilities (i.e. Scorecards, Interview Guides, Competency Model), when conducting research/search efforts
- Where external search firms are engaged, work closely with GA operating professionals to support and coordinate the search processes including executive search firm screening, development of spec/scorecards, preliminary screening interviews, and collating/analyzing feedback from candidate interviews
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 4-8 years of relevant work experience within executive search
- Experience working in a leading executive search firm, preferably with exposure to consumer and consumer technology sectors
- Must have proven experience driving research and supporting active search engagements in support of C-suite mandates; experience engaging with external clients/candidates in the market, and capable of producing high quality search and candidate documentation (specs, status reports, candidate reports)
- Highly analytical coupled with strong intuition; able to think and react quickly
- Strong project management skills – time management, pattern recognition, prioritization and strong judgement are critical; ability to work well under pressure without compromising quality
- Strong attention to detail, exceptional follow through and consistently delivers results
- Ability to work independently and proactively in a high performing global organization. Highly collaborative and capable of working effectively cross functionally
- Demonstrated maturity and professional presence; comfortable interacting with senior executives
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Highly motivated, inquisitive, and positive can-do attitude
General Atlantic offers a robust reward program to all employees that will support you and your family, maintaining fulfilling, secure and healthy lives now and into the future, which includes but is not limited to medical insurance, retirement savings contributions, mental and physical health resources and an equal pay program that allows you to earn a base salary of $140,000-220,000 USD of which the exact amount offered will be driven by the degree to which you meet role requirements, additional special skills and experience. Additional reward programs, such as annual discretionary bonuses and long-term incentive programs, are available for eligible employees and are offered as recognition for performance and one’s contributions towards the organization’s success.
General Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
By completing this application, you are consenting to General Atlantic’s processing and use of your personal data. Information on how General Atlantic will use and process your data can be found here: https://www.generalatlantic.com/privacy-policy/