2024 Summer Co-op - Controls Systems Engineer
The Controls Systems Engineer is an Individual contributor with recognized expertise responsible for tasks and work you're doing throughout the entire vehicle development lifecycle including requirements definition, systems design and implementation, testing, and problem resolution.
Additional Job Description
We are looking for 12-16 month Co-op Controls Systems Engineer to join our Oshawa Assembly team.
The successful candidate works within the Manufacturing Engineering (ME) organization to provide ongoing Conveyor / Controls / Robotics Engineering support to any / all of the major Production areas (Stamping, Body, Paint, General Assembly). You will be responsible to conceive of and manage technical projects of varying scale and complexity, implement equipment / process changes, assist maintenance with troubleshooting problems, operate in compliance with all applicable safety regulations and standards as prescribed by the Province of Ontario and GM, operate in compliance with the GMCC / Unifor collective agreement, and document / communicate changes. Working independently and/or within a team, you will need to stay abreast of project timelines and execute work dynamically. This position will require the ability to work overtime and irregular hours, as required, to meet the demands of the job.
- Daily support of production operations with focus on personnel and equipment safety, process quality and uptime with core focus on automation and controls
- Provide technical/engineering support to assist production and maintenance with troubleshooting equipment/process failures and with identifying effective follow-up countermeasures
- Machinery / equipment Controls Management to ensure compliance with GM Safety and Controls standards (i.e. Robotic, Welding, Sealing, Material Handling)
- Machinery / equipment modifications and continuous improvement to support area Efficiency Improvement Processes (TIP), including ongoing assurance of TIP model prediction accuracy
- Maintenance / Production Guidance (technical troubleshooting and direction, safety counsel)
- Downtime Planning activities, as required
- Launch activities, as required
- Ensure proper documentation excellence (drawings, manuals, PM schedules etc.). Information is kept current and properly maintained for all equipment in assigned area, ensure spare parts availability, and collaborate to develop maintenance standard operating procedures (SOPs)
Who We Are Looking For:
- Electrical, Computer, or Mechatronic engineering degree student – 3rd or 4th year preferred
- 12 to 16 month co-op term starting September 2024
- Strong controls systems technical aptitude obtained either through an
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Strong work ethic (self-starter, responsible, follow through on assignments)
- Demonstrate professional interpersonal styles and communication methods to work optimally with business partners to meet mutual goals required
- Understanding of manufacturing and tooling processes
- Comfortable with technology tools (PCs, Microsoft Office, OEM support software)
- Flexibility (work hours, rotating shifts, moving quickly from one assignment to another as priorities change)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Robotic Automation, particularly Fanuc; PLC based automation control systems, particularly Rockwell/AB PLCs with RSLogix 500 and 5000.
- Proficient in other digital literacy: MS Outlook, Excel, Word, Project
- Proven Leadership, Interpersonal and Communication skills
- Ability to work varying shifts and overtime as required
- Proven skills in working with a diverse group
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results within a team environment with minimal direction at times
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical concepts and related controls requirements
- Knowledge of the requirements of the Ontario Ministry of Labour (MOL) / Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
- Successful candidates will be required to attest to their vaccination status (or indicating that they do not wish to disclose), and any job offer will be conditional on the candidate providing that attestation
- Knowledge of computer software as pertaining to CCR engineering activities
- GM standard controls certification training completion (ex., CCS1, CCH1, etc.)
- Previous experience working in a unionized manufacturing environment
- Familiarity with GM Workplace Safety System (WSS) imperatives as pertaining to CCR activities (ex., Management of Change (MOC), gComply, Hazardous Energy Control (HEC), Request to Unlock Safety Task (RUST), etc.)
- Robotic Engineering Proficiency obtained through certified OEM training programs (FANUC) as well as hands-on experience with robotic automation integration through job shops and/or assembly plants
- Fanuc Robotics (ex., GM Global 3 and Global 4 platform)
- Vision Systems (ex., Sick, Matrox, Fanuc, Keyence)
- Dispense Tool/Paint Tool Programming/Weld Spot Tool
- SCA Schucker Sealer systems
- Laser Welding Applications
- Weld Controls (ex., Medar, WTC, SQ D)
- Siemens HMI’s
- UD & C/MASS
- Drives (MoviMot, Siemens, Unico, AB Powerflex/ ArmorStart, AB Multi Versions)
- Knowledge of Stamping Press function/operation
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities. Should you be contacted by General Motors of Canada, please advise if you require accommodation. General Motors of Canada values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.