SW Tech Specialist, Body Controls - Exterior Lighting
We are looking for a highly qualified SW Tech Specialist to shape and influence the evolution of Body Control System products on our progressive Vehicle Mechatronics Embedded Controls (VMEC) team within the Software Defined Vehicle group (SDV). Body Control Systems covers a broad spectrum of core functionality relating to secure vehicle access, vehicle state manager, occupant protection, lighting, and visibility across our entire vehicle portfolio at General Motors. This particular role will focus on Exterior Lighting and the successful candidate will serve as a functional domain expert within the Vision and Visibility ART. We are looking for someone who understands the value of holistic solutions across engineering domains and has a passion for software development.
- Own and evolve the solution context and be the “Chief Architect” for the Exterior Lighting features including exterior and interior lighting, Choreography etc
- Lead and support Secure Vehicle Access Software development to ensure all requirements and deliverables are met on-time with "world's best" quality.
- Foster and document the Best Practices to ensure high quality software and reduced development lead time.
- Collaborate with Product Management Team to support the Backlog refinement efforts, develop acceptance criteria, and benefit hypothesis, determine technical feasibility and scope estimates, identify, and manage system dependencies, accept features after validation.
- Contribute to ART roadmap development and integrate the architectural enablers into the roadmap, ensuring enablers are defined and prioritized in the backlog, outlining technical constraints, assumptions, and dependencies.
- Lead cross-functional team(s) to coordinate the development and integration of the requirements and end software into the vehicle
- Ensure work items have been well defined and high-level requirements are decomposed and represented in work items.
- Determine primary Software Components (SWCs) Controls Algo/SW design strategy.
- Support the development practices – Test Driven Development(TDD), Behavior Driven Development(BDD), Hand Code, etc.
- Lead the resolution of software issues (including PRTS) and the implementation cadence, including critical functional, regulatory, compliance, and customer satisfaction issues.
- Understand integration and verification testing of controller level software builds.
- Support continuous process improvement and prioritize Innovation.
- Provide technical mentorship and development
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products and defines GM direction.
Additional Job Description
- 7+ years of experience with software design, microcontroller architectures, memory technologies, and vehicle programming.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Vision and Visibility Features including exterior, interior, choreography lighting, as well as wipe/wash.
- Extensive knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle.
- In-depth knowledge of vehicle serial data communications (ETHERNET, CAN, LIN)
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and comprehending software requirements
- High level knowledge of software verification/validation processes
- In-depth knowledge of embedded software development, testing and associated tools (Jira, DOORs, Rhapsody…)
- Technical knowledge of software Calibrations and the impact on system functionality.
- Capability to translate text based functional requirements into software algorithms and models.
- High level of knowledge of state of the art technology and competitive products.
- Experienced in performing system, component, and software level DFMEAs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of GM vehicle level electrical architectures (SDV, VIP)
- Skillful in Program Management Techniques
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- High level of analytical ability solving difficult problems.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Results driven individual with high levels of initiative, urgency, and pro-activeness
- Good business acumen, organizational and strategic agility
- Proven ability to mentor and develop others to high level of performance
Education and Training:
- BS Degree ME, EE or CE/CS Engineering required
- MS Degree EE or CE/CS Engineering preferred
- DFSS Certification
Hybrid: This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to onsite at the GM Global Technical Center - Cole Engineering Center Podium three times per week, at minimum or other frequency dictated by the business.
- Compensation: The expected base compensation for this role is: $116,100 - $181,600 . Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
- Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.