2024 Summer Co-Op - Maintenance Group Leader
Onsite: The position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time to basis.
Collaborating on innovation challenges, interacting with Industry leaders, attending cross-functional networking events and volunteering for community service activities.
As the Maintenance Group Leader, you are responsible for operations, maintenance, and repair of plant equipment! You may lead all aspects of a medium size group of employees in a skilled area of work which requires making decisions based on established procedure. Also, work is of a technical nature using independent judgment within the limits of the Global Manufacturing System (GMS); focusing on Safety, People, Quality, Responsiveness, Cost, and Environment (SPQRCE)!
- You will conduct appropriate checks and tests, and communicate evaluation of results
- Recommends solutions to problems
- Responsible for preventative maintenance, and diagnosis of equipment malfunctions
- Meets schedule and quality requirements
- Aligns with the terms of local and national labour agreements
- Implements divisional and corporate policies, and safety and good housekeeping practices
- Maintain frequent contact and collaboration with others outside of the work group
- Responsible for the effective use of personnel, material, and equipment
- Establishes a course of action to accomplish completion of the job and/or project, and the knowledge and ability to implement GMS principles
- Develop a proactive safety culture by engaging team members and peers in our safety processes
- Understood and effective use of GMS
- Complete safety incident investigations, and develop permanent corrective action
- Provide Leadership to Skilled Trades, and provide supervision and direction to contractors when required
- Manage Equipment issues and Equipment Breakdowns, and develop permanent corrective action
- Develop improvements to standard tasks using SOP’s, STS’s, Maximo, and Task Instruction Sheets
- Lead/Participate in continuous improvement events
- Actively support Departmental meetings (Safety, TIP, Quality, etc)
- Support Production department in organizational change events
- Handle staffing levels for your Group
- Create new PMs, Maintenance PM process and PM scrubbing
- New employee orientation
- Pursuit of a Bachelor's degree (3rd and 4th year students) or Master's degree in one of the following areas: Engineering (ex. Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, Automotive, Chemical, etc), Business
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week in Canada, and 12, or 16 month term (2-4 consecutive semesters) starting May 2024
- Willing to work in a plant environment and flexible hours (shift work, weekends, and overtime to meet business needs)
- What will give you a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
Prior manufacturing experience, knowledge of production environments, and in automotive industry are considered assets
Previous supervisory, or team leading experience
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities. Should you be contacted by General Motors of Canada, please advise if you require accommodation. General Motors of Canada values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.