Advanced Cell Engineer-Battery Enclosure Design
This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Warren, Michigan three times per week, at minimum
GM’s Global Electrification Battery Systems (GEBS) group is seeking a skilled Advanced Cell Engineer to join Design Integration & Performance team focusing on battery cell enclosure design. The Battery Cell Enclosure Engineer is responsible for developing, managing product & process requirements for mechanical design of advanced automotive battery cells. The ideal candidate exudes a passion for excellence in engineering and seeks solutions to challenging electrification problems with strong personal leadership and communication skills and foundational understanding of engineering principles.
What You’ll Do (Responsibilities)
- Lead for mechanical design and specifications for lithium ion battery cell enclosure system and all its subcomponents
- Overseeing design and application of virtual analysis (VDDV) to ensure mechanical integrity assessments to industry standards
- Managing cell mechanical requirements documents for lithium ion prismatic cells.
- Supporting cell level mechanical design and validation requirements through cross functional collaboration between energy storage engineering, vehicle design/structures, safety and manufacturing engineering.
- Supporting development of RFI requirements for battery cells to work with external suppliers
- Support critical design review process for lithium ion cells in all formats.
- Work with manufacturing engineering, product design, and operation teams in developing physical prototypes of enclosure assembly
- Prepare status updates related to design efforts, report and make recommendations as required
- Engage with Purchasing to enable the procurement of new and retooled equipment with technical statements of work and the evaluation of proposals in support of sophisticated manufacturing development project
- Develop appropriate documentation to support the protection of intellectual property
- Own initial Bill of Materials, Bill of Design and Bill of Process for different formats of cell enclosures
Additional Job Description
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or related.
- 3+ years in product development and/or design release for lithium ion battery modules or cells.
- 5+ years of professional work experience.
- Understanding of energy storage systems and vehicle electrification.
- Good Analytical and Problem Solving Skills.
- Familiar with Electric vehicle standards and HEV - Highly Motivated and Self-Starter.
- Experience with requirements flow and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or Equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with battery supply base.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal stamping, thermoforming, welding/brazing, die casting, plating, heat treating, bonding and direct machine shop skills.
- Experience in cell mechanical testing.
- Supporting cell level design and validation requirements through cross functional collaboration between energy storage engineering, vehicle design/structures, and safety.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.