Manufacturing Materials Execution Engineer-Global Tech Center
This position is considered hybrid with an expectation to be in office 3 days a week.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
The Manufacturing Optimization Material Engineer position is a unique opportunity to influence the way we as General Motors operate material flow in our assembly plants and lead the way to GM achieve a factory of future material flow world class level. Your mission is to implement material strategies & automation while collaborating with cross functional teams either in IT, Supply Chain, Manufacturing Engineering (ME) and mainly with plant team members to support successful Materials Automation projects execution and drive the best practices implementation, always working as ‘One Team’.
Key Deliverables will be to coordinate projects, plan, develop and execute Automation projects from dock to assembly line to create the most efficient, leanest processes for the entire GM Enterprise. This individual will work with all levels of cross functional teams. Work is of a difficult and involved nature, where a high level of independent judgment and discretion are exercised.
What You’ll Do (Responsibilities)
- Work with cross-functional teams to conceptualize, design, and execute automation programs and processes that improve supply chain, warehousing, and material flow.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of Lean Material Strategies (LMS) such as Route Planning, Dock Strategies and Overall Material Flow analysis to optimize sequence of operations and workflow.
- Create and execute plans to Automate material handling process for unloading, coupled/decoupled material movement from dock to storage locations, dolly preparation, floor and dynamic material storage in high bay racks, Line Replenishment and Empty dunnage return, etc.
- Complete project plan reviews with the local production management teams for future implementations. Understand local contractual considerations for all projects.
- Provide Technical support and assistance to manufacturing and maintenance team members, production supervisors and production associates
- Able to quickly understand a Layout and propose ideas to Automate Material Flow and Storage processes.
- Have complete understanding of Bill of Processes (BOP) / Bill of Equipment (BOE).
- Deep Industrial Engineering Analysis based on PFEP Data from MGO to make calculations and determine/optimize Labor, Equipment and Area required for a project.
- Industrial Engineering Analysis using WMS, EPS and PPS reports and raw data.
- Analyze existing operations and propose continuous improvements (CI), using tools like GMOS to identify optimization opportunities.
- Coordinate and track through a Master Dot all project milestones & deliverables.
- Manage Timing, Resources, Budget, Lessons Learned, Performance Scorecard, Meeting Minutes, One Pager project weekly report for every project that this individual will lead.
- Be able to split an idea or plan in small pieces and create a Visio Flow to show all steps required to be completed by each stakeholder.
- Prepare Business calculation for a new project submission and approval.
Additional Job Description
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Being available to travel within US and International as required in each phase of the project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Industrial, Mechanical) or Supply Chain Management
- Minimum 5 years of equivalent experience (Mfg. and Supply chain)
- In-depth Floor Operations Materials processes knowledge.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience GMS, program/platform manufacturing and plant manufacturing.
- Highly Proficient with AutoCad, MS-Office tools (Excel, Visio, Project and Powerpoint).
- Knowledge of work measurement/Work standards (GMOS), ergonomic principles, material optimization, and facility layout.
- Basic manufacturing and assembly processes knowledge.
- Working knowledge on GM systems MGO/EPS/PPS. Knowledge in WMS.
- Previous experience as Project Lead, with the ability to coordinate resources, report status, and track timelines.
What Will Give You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- Familiarity with automation execution, understanding the principles and concepts related to material flow automation.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.