RESS Laser Weld Engineer
In our pursuit to create a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, GM’s global manufacturing engineering team is challenging the limits on what is possible and embracing agility as it reimagines how to build the next generation of vehicles. Our diverse team of manufacturing engineers play a crucial role in transforming our facilities through implementing the adoption of ground-breaking technologies. From raw sheet metal to final assembly, this team is reinventing the tools and processes that will enable GM to deliver on our promise to create an all-electric future.
The automotive industry is likely to change more in the next 5 years than it has in the last 50, and we are at the heart of that change. Our team is responsible for the installation, debug, and launch of the manufacturing systems producing batteries to power the automobiles of tomorrow. If you are innovative, creative, enjoy working with the latest technologies, and thrive in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment, here is your chance to make a career of it.
The RESS Laser Weld Engineer will be assigned to the battery department inside the Spring Hill plant and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of battery weld process equipment through ongoing operations. This will include weld equipment for both modules and packs. This individual must have the ability to collaborate with all shop floor personnel, work with little direction, and have a high degree of problem resolution skills.
What You'll Do (Responsibilities):
• Promotes, educates, communicates, and follows up on safety initiatives
• Must be willing to rotate shifts & communicate status to following shifts
• Participate in PFMEA, SFMEA, PCP, and G-Risk meetings
• Support equipment debug process with ME/Execution counterparts
• Develop/implement laser quality/maintenance processes for modules and battery packs
• Ability to examine/interpret data to resolve issues
• Utilize FTQ/FTA data to improve quality and throughput
• Assist with battery weld quality evaluation as needed
• Update area of responsibility and participate in the Launch wall meetings
•Works with operations to identify and develop the Battery training skilled operators and ensure its implemented
• Supports GMS activities and implementation
• Lead TIP throughout battery weld equipment
• Must be willing to work overtime as required
• Understanding of weld process and practices
Your Skills and Abilities (Required Qualifications):
• Engineering degree from ABET-accredited university OR equivalent experience
• Deep technical knowledge and ability in process engineering disciplines
• Understanding of weld process equipment
• Experience with laser welding equipment
• Ability to work a rotating shift (1st, 2nd, or 3rd)
• Ability to work OT as needed
What Can Give You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
• 5 or more years of manufacturing experience
• Previous battery weld experience
• Experience with laser welding
• Experience with Product Launches (automotive preferred)
• Master's degree in mechanical engineering
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.