Director, Product Design - Driver
Director, Product Design - Driver
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft is seeking a Design Director to lead our Driver design team. As a Design Director, you will lead a team of talented product designers, providing direction and guidance of the team’s output, as well as stewarding best practices in cross-functional partnership and design process. You will propagate a strong design practice, influence through cross-functional partnership, and create the spaces and structures that allow designers to create their best work.
You have both an incredible eye for detail and an ability to think big, break new ground, innovate and impact the business. You have experience leading teams, providing design mentorship, and you have a strong track record of work that demonstrates both clear wins to user and business impact. You are a thoughtful and proven leader, a storyteller, an excellent communicator, and a cross-organizational team player that is a champion for values, craft, and career development.
We’re seeking a candidate who will advocate and maintain a customer-centric culture within Lyft, and be happy and comfortable in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. You’re experienced with every step of product development, from brainstorming broad ideas to ensuring design quality through launch. Using your full range of interaction, visual, and product thinking skills, you will lead and own high-priority Driver experiences across our product teams.
Our Drivers are our core customers—they are at the center of everything we make, build and create. We want to give Drivers an amazing experience throughout their time with Lyft, offering safe, efficient, and delightful experiences that help them make a living, support their families, and pursue their passion.
By joining the team, you will have a rare opportunity to solve some of the toughest challenges while having a huge impact in the lives of Lyft’s Drivers. You will be creating industry-leading experiences, co-leading with talented, empathetic cross-functional partners on product strategy and process, and influencing team efforts to build high value opportunities for our Drivers and Lyft.
- Manage, mentor and inspire a team of product designers, providing design direction and pushing the quality of the design work
- Serve as a valued member of the cross-functional Driver Leadership Team developing the org’s vision, strategy, and roadmap with your product, engineering, and other cross-functional peers
- Think through the holistic end-to-end Lyft Driver experience considering both the in-app and offline experiences
- Push the boundaries of your team’s UX/UI/visual execution and explore new ideas. Explore divergent concepts and create trajectory for the Company
- Define user lifecycle product strategy and lead your team in executing design work with a high level of polish
- Understand how to solve a range of both tactical & contained issues to much more complex, loosely defined product challenges across all digital platforms: iOS, Android, and web
- Know how to lead and represent your team effectively, substantiate the work and the decisions behind them, and be an advocate for user-centered design
- Build relationships with cross functional team members and executives across organizations, and effectively speak to process, design goals and team vision as a strong representative of the design team
- Step change productivity and accelerate team efficiency by improving processes and workflows with the design team and cross functional teams
- As a member of the Lyft Design Leadership Team, contribute to supporting and advancing Lyft’s overall design culture
- 10 years of design experience
- 5+ years of experience managing and scaling design teams
- Background in product design (UX/UI), with a focus on mobile
- Ability to think big and understand complex feature sets
- A track record of leading design teams through successful product launches across iOS, Android, and mobile web
- Strong information design experience with a solid foundation in UX design heuristics
- Strong growth mindset and passion for data driven impact
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining multi-disciplinary design teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Applied experience with design and prototyping tools: Figma preferred
- Superb attention to detail
- Ability to work well on an ego-free, highly collaborative, and cross-functional team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Starting in September 2023, this role will be in-office on a hybrid schedule — Team Members will be expected to work in the office 3 days per week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Additionally, hybrid roles have the flexibility to work from anywhere for up to 4 weeks per year.
The expected range of base pay for this position in the San Francisco area is $256,500 - $285,000. Salary ranges are dependent on a variety of factors, including qualifications, experience and geographic location. Range is not inclusive of potential equity offering, bonus or benefits. Your recruiter can share more information about the salary range specific to your working location and other factors during the hiring process.