Director of Operations
Chicago, IL, United States
Full time Schedule
* based on job, location, and schedule
Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. There’s a reason we’ve been around for 160 years. Customers come to us for fashion, value, and high-quality products. Now is an exciting time to join Macy’s. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation.
Online sales are booming at Macy’s. Our Distribution Center teams are key to our success in the modern retail landscape. They make sure that products arrive at our stores - and each customer’s doorstep - on time, in perfect condition. Behind the scenes, a lot goes into getting products to customers. When a shopper makes an online purchase, we plan, prep, and package the merchandise to get it delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible – across the country and around the world. It takes a lot of smart people working together to make that happen, and so there are many roles you can play, including (but not limited to): material handlers, equipment drivers, inventory control, packers, quality assurance, safety specialists, asset protection, and many more. Whatever role you play – we value you as a colleague. Choose the challenge that’s right for you!
Direct the day-to-day Inbound and/or Outbound operations. In conjunction with other members of the senior executive staff, lead short and long term strategic planning of the operations to ensure all facility and organization goals and objectives are achieved. This role is based in our Minooka, Illinois Distribution Facility outside Chicago. This role reports into our Senior Facility Director who runs the entire facility.
- Responsible for the direction of the Inbound and/or Outbound operations and all that it entails: Ensuring we meet or exceed our Units Per Hour (UPH), Cartons Per Unit (CPU), Service on Time (SOT) and Fill Rate goals and targets.
- Coach and counsel executive direct reports, ensure associate counseling and coaching is taking place.
- Ensure departments meet or exceed performance requirements in the areas of safety, shortage, cost control, quality, processing standards, flexibility, reliability, and customer service.
- Identify / develop / implement short and long term strategies which enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency for each of the operations departments.
- Continually analyze work processes to identify optimization opportunities and implement process improvements.
- Develop and maintain a work culture that is successful and committed to superior customer service.
- Develop and maintain procedures and metrics that assure customer service satisfaction levels are attained.
- Responsible for driving and managing the change associated with organizational growth.
- Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine department progress toward stated goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the development of training programs and ensures staff understanding of programs.
- Provides a safe work environment for staff. Develops and enforces Safe / Smart work practices.
- Performs other related duties, special projects or assignments as required.
- Work closely with operational leaders to prepare for staffing needs projected by volume plans (daily, weekly and monthly). Create/use staffing tools that model staffing needs based on business demand changes. Escalate situations of non-compliance based on reports.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- We encourage candidates with either a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a related field to apply.
- 5+ years related experience
- At least five years proficiency in Microsoft Office Required (Word, Excel, Access).
- Excellent written communication skills - 2 years experience summarizing data and outlining directions.
- Business and intellectual competencies to include: industry understanding of warehouse management and supply chain/logistics trends.
- Practices open and continuous communication, values keeping others informed, effectively presenting information in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability to effectively plan and execute strategies.
- Ability to solve problems as well as recognize issues and deal with them directly
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with retail hours, including day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays
- Position requires prolonged periods of standing/walking around facility or department
- Frequent use of computers and other technology necessary to perform job duties, including handheld electronic equipment.
- May involve reaching, crouching, kneeling, stooping and color vision
- Frequently lift/move up to 25lbs
Supply Chain Only and Colleagues Working in a Supply Chain Facility except in locations governed by a Collective Bargaining Agreement
Random drug testing for all colleagues will be conducted on a monthly or semi-monthly basis, depending upon factors including but not limited to the size of the facility and the number of colleagues on roll. Colleagues will be randomly selected for testing by a third party. Testing must be completed on the same workday the colleague is informed of selection for testing, absent extenuating circumstances. In all circumstances, testing must be completed within 24 hours of notification.
This position may be eligible for performance-based incentives/bonuses in addition to the attached Benefits. Eligibility requirements may apply based on location, job level, classification, and length of employment. Visit https://bit.ly/3Sy3fOs to see details on benefits.