A Principal Architect is a senior technologist who oversees architecture strategies for strategic initiatives spanning multiple domains and systems across the omnichannel. Principal Architect owns long-term technical vision and roadmaps and is responsible for implementing the vision through the course of enterprise-wide projects by collaborating with development and business teams.
Jointly with development leadership Principal Architects develop, promote and govern architecture principles, standards and strategies; coach development leads, application architects, system analysts and other technical stakeholders. They are ultimately responsible for the delivery of foundational architecture-transforming initiatives for a suite of systems.
Their primary areas of focus are application and system roadmaps, design and direction of application and database architecture, alignment of application architecture with business objectives and high-level company technology direction. Principal Architects partner with other architects and technology decision-makers across the omnichannel to guide overall technology direction. They are also responsible for defining the strategy to integrate with 3rd parties and vendor products into the macys ecosystem and technology stack. They work closely with Technical Leads, Architects, other Software Engineers and Management in a highly collaborative environment. Principal architects closely work with and mentor staff engineers and even other architects in the group and groom them to be successful in their jobs.
• Deeply hands on and able to write production quality code as required
• Own the application suite end-to-end architecture vision and roadmap
• Collaborate closely with senior technology partners across the omnichannel to drive the architecture vision and roadmap
• Work closely with development team to ensure design patterns and direction is successfully and consistently implemented
• Work with business and business analysts to understand end user needs and future business direction.
• Deliver project assignments on time, within budget and with high quality
• Collaborate and mentor other Architects and technologists in the group and groom them to be successful in their jobs
• Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 10 years of experience or Masters Degree in Computer Science/Engineering and 7 years of experience.
• 7+ years experience in building complex highly scalable and performant online and offline applications and applying various design patterns.
• 7+ years experience configuring and optimizing modern web frameworks like VueJS, Angular, React, Backbone.js, Knockout, Ember.js, Spring MVC, Grails, Bootstrap, Foundation.
• 7+ years application design experience, UML and design patterns.
• Deep understanding of one or more caching technologies and techniques.
• Conversant with concepts and implementations of Relational and no-sql databases
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• Experience communicating and collaborating across levels and roles
• Demonstrable ability to deliver projects on time, with high quality, and within budget
• Ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, high-pressure, fast paced environment
Principal, Software Engineer
Long Island City, NY, United States
Full time Schedule
* based on job, location, and schedule