Senior Performance Engineer
Johns Creek, GA, United States
$100,900 - $168,300 Annually*
Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy’s has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration. Now is an exciting time to join Macy’s, Inc. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation.
Macy’s Tech provides modern tools, platforms, and services to all parts of the business. Our team supports millions of customers in connected commerce across the technology hub at Macy’s Join our team to help shape the future of e-commerce and set the pace in retail technology. Whether focused on store technology, supply chain tech, application security, merchandising systems, or the mobile app – you’ll have opportunities to grow your career while finding meaningful ways to make a difference.
Job Summary: We are looking for an experienced Performance Engineering Lead who will play a pivotal role in ensuring the optimal performance of our e-commerce platform on Google Cloud and microservices architecture. This role involves leading a team of performance engineers and coordinating holiday readiness testing for Macy's, ensuring that our platform can handle high traffic loads during peak seasons. Additionally, you will be responsible for implementing robust monitoring and alerting observability validation using tools such as Splunk, Dynatrace, and Stackdriver, in conjunction with performance testing tools like K6 and JMeter.
- Performance Testing Leadership: Lead and manage a team of performance engineers responsible for testing the scalability, performance, and availability of our e-commerce platform.
- Google Cloud Expertise: Leverage your expertise in Google Cloud to optimize platform performance and ensure efficient resource utilization.
- Spanner DB Performance: Collaborate with database administrators to monitor and optimize the performance of Spanner DB, ensuring data consistency and high availability.
- Microservices Architecture: Evaluate and fine-tune the performance of our microservices architecture to handle increased traffic loads.
- Holiday Readiness Testing: Develop and execute holiday readiness testing strategies and plans for Macy's, simulating high traffic scenarios to ensure a seamless shopping experience during peak seasons.
- Performance Tuning: Identify performance bottlenecks, conduct root cause analysis, and implement performance tuning strategies to enhance system responsiveness.
- Scalability Assessment: Assess the scalability of the platform, recommending infrastructure upgrades or optimizations as needed to accommodate growth.
- Monitoring and Alerting: Implement and manage robust monitoring and alerting solutions using tools like Splunk, Dynatrace, and Stackdriver to ensure real-time visibility into platform performance.
- Observability Validation: Validate observability practices to provide actionable insights into system behavior, helping to identify and address performance issues proactively.
- Load and Stress Testing: Design and execute load and stress testing scenarios using K6 and JMeter to validate the platform's ability to handle increased loads.
- Performance Metrics: Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to measure, monitor, and report on platform performance.
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintain comprehensive documentation of performance test plans, results, monitoring configurations, and recommendations, providing regular reports to stakeholders.
- Collaboration: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including development, quality assurance, and Macy's teams, to ensure alignment on performance goals and requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field; Master's degree preferred.
- We encourage candidates with either a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a related field to apply.
- 12 years of experience in performance engineering, with a focus on e-commerce platforms.
- Cross channel performance experience is a plus, Site, Mobile, POS, Kiosk
- End2End Customer journey performance scenario experience is required
- Expertise in Google Cloud services and cloud-based architectures.
- Strong knowledge of Spanner, Cassandra, Mongo and microservices architecture.
- Experience with performance testing tools such as K6 and JMeter.
- Proficiency in holiday readiness testing for e-commerce platforms.
- Hands-on experience with monitoring and alerting tools like Splunk, Dynatrace, and Stackdriver.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Data and Dashboarding skills are required.
This position may be eligible for performance-based incentives/bonuses. Benefits include 401k, medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance options, PTO accruals, Holidays, and more. Eligibility requirements may apply based on location, job level, classification, and length of employment. Click here to see details on benefits.