Product Development Engineer (Entry/Experienced)
Michelin is hiring!
- - - - - - - - - - - -
THIS OPEN POSITION IS LOCATED ONLY AT THE FOLLOWING
LOCATIONS: Greenville MARC
The Product Development Engineer (PDE) defines and validates tire models or associated technologies for new Original Equipment (OE) dimensions. This work includes developing new OE models utilizing innovative materials, constructions, or processes whereby the PDE directs both the tire design activities and assists in bringing new technologies to the market in coordination with industry. Frequent discussions and reviews with OEM engineering teams are a core part of the interaction with external customers.
Tire development projects are conducted in direct collaboration with major global OEMs for new model vehicles that will be launched on the market. The tire design process begins with coordinating and collaborating with a team of Michelin engineers and tire performance experts where proposed tire designs are evaluated using CAD / FEA tools for initial performance estimates. From there, initial optimized mold designs are generated with either Michelin or BF Goodrich tirelines and a mold order is issued for usage in development tire builds. Machine testing is completed on the development tires to collect objective performance data and initial subjective evaluations can be completed by a Michelin test driver at our Laurens Proving Ground (LPG). Frequent on-track joint testing / evaluation sessions are utilized where Michelin and OEM test drivers provide subjective performance feedback on the tire / vehicle interaction at LPG or customer test tracks.
The tire model must satisfy internal/external customer needs while respecting the Michelin quality system and other associated constraints (ex: Norms and Regs).
Expectations for a PDE include the ability to:
- Define and validate a tire model through simulation/testing and associated technology to satisfy customer needs while respecting safety standards, government regulations and Michelin requirements.
- Maintain a portfolio of product models throughout their commercial life (conception to product end of life). This includes Lifecycle Assessments for sustainability and environmental impact.
- Conduct technical studies/tests to validate performance, assess project risks, or determine the impacts of design or process changes.
- Review product performance on consumer vehicles, address customer claims, and propose maintenance actions or design changes when needed.
- Develop and implement project plans that meet or exceed expectations with an ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Interact and communicate with external partners, suppliers, customers, and colleagues in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate effective problem-solving skills to analyze, find the root cause, and implement solutions to eliminate/reduce the risk of problem occurrence.
- Travel (10-20% per year) to support tire builds or customer field visits. Limited International travel may be required based on project needs.
#LI - EO
Inspire Motion for Life: Apply Today!
As the leading mobility company, we work with tires, around tires and beyond tires to enable Motion for Life. Dedicated to enhancing our clients’ mobility and sustainability, Michelin designs and distributes the most suitable tires, services and solutions for our customers’ needs. Michelin provides digital services, maps and guides to help enrich trips and travels and make them unique experiences. Bringing our expertise to new markets, we invest in high-technology materials, 3D printing and hydrogen, to serve a wide a variety of industries—from aerospace to biotech. Headquartered in Greenville, South Carolina, Michelin North America has approximately 23,000 employees and operates 34 production facilities in the United States and Canada.
MICHELIN® tires have been ranked the #1 Tire Brand across major categories and segments by industry experts and consumers alike. For nearly three decades we’ve been recognized for our achievements in Customer Satisfaction, Performance, Durability, Technology and Innovation.
Michelin cares for the personal and professional development of its employees. We support career advancement through various options, which include: skill and career development, training, career exploration and work with cross-functional teams. We offer the possibility of a varied and fulfilling career path in an environment where unique contributions are valued.
Michelin offers 10 Business Resource Groups (BRGs) which are all-inclusive groups created and led by employees who have shared life experiences across various diversity dimensions. Each group supports business strategies and initiatives along with meeting the needs of members. The goal of each group is to help employees feel welcome and included, support employee engagement and encourage professional development. BRGs also provide cross-cultural support, career management resources and opportunities for community involvement.
This position is not available for immigration sponsorship.
Get in the driver’s seat and be on your way to a meaningful professional journey!