Chief of Staff
The Chief Vice President (CVP) of Health + Standards Engineering is hiring a Chief of Staff to support him and to become a trusted partner and force-multiplier of the leadership team. This individual will lead the Rhythm of the Business (RoB), and partner closely with the CVP to develop the strategy and operational execution of the group.
If you want to play a leadership role in one of the fastest growing cloud businesses, this may be the role for you. Are you excited about working with key technical leadership and helping build cross-boundary teams? Are you passionate about people and culture and how to connect leaders and teams together? Are you able to translate business priorities and complexities into actionable outcomes? The Edge + Platform (E+P) Health and Standards provides end to end health systems for Cloud and Edge that enable 1st and 3rd party customers to efficiently operate and provide high quality experiences with their apps, services, and infrastructure.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day.
As Chief of Staff, you will drive strategy and operational excellence via a diverse charter that includes: leading the team’s Rhythm of the Business (RoB), internal people rhythms and communications, team connectedness, and management processes. You will also partner with the Leader and Human Resources Partner on organizational health initiatives, support executive engagements with customers, and support and coordinate external communications where needed. You should have the ability to think strategically both globally and locally, and effectively develop key processes, procedures, and communications plans that facilitate business planning and execution. This position requires extensive cross-group and cross-boundary coordination at all levels, excellent written and verbal communication, a wide range of analytical capabilities, and the ability to build compelling internal presentations, customer-facing content, and comprehensive business review materials.
Drive strategic initiatives and provide thought leadership. Identify issues that impede business group success and provide solutions/recommendations. Identify opportunities to create cross-group collaboration and synergies. Orchestrate team design conversations and facilitate successful implementation of organizational plans. Demonstrate discretion and professionalism when working with the Leadership Team on sensitive business and organizational issues.
Culture & people programs:
Partner with the Leaders and HR to drive Microsoft Employee Signals action planning. Orchestrate team trainings and brownbag series to contribute to ongoing learning and development. Define, plan, and drive cross-team process improvements (e.g. team recognition, cultural events, retention strategies). Elevate our partnership with Recruiting business partners to ensure our organization attracts the best and brightest candidates, that openings are filled quickly, and that we meet organizational hiring objectives and key measures. You will drive and ensure a positive onboarding experience and continuous training programs for the organization.
Business process: Lead and coordinate RoB and improve processes to run the business efficiently. You will work with the E+P central office and HR organization to coordinate aligned business processes and management control processes.
Communications: Plan and execute CVP’s communications strategy in partnership with key communications stakeholders. You will be accountable for vehicles and channels that support organizational strategic missions. Drive internal communications for team meetings and other internal communications at major milestones. Plan and manage team meetings including All Hands, staff meetings, and manager meetings.
Special Projects: You will from time-to-time, design and deliver high-impact, cross-team projects as needed to meet the changing business environment, ensuring the team is achieving its commitments. You will demonstrate successful project management, including work with strategy consultants, other external agencies, and a range of internal business partners (e.g. CELA, Finance, Marketing, Business Development) on efforts that require hands-on experience across multiple functional disciplines and business organizations.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 8+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related roles
- OR equivalent experience.
- 7+ years experience working directly with engineering, HR, recruiting/GTA, operations and stakeholders.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Proven track record for identifying risks and implementing mitigations successfully.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience writing and communicating with executives.
- Cross-functional project management and collaboration skills.
- Data-oriented, analytical and detail oriented, yet balanced with an ability to be able to step back from the data to draw out the right business approach for conclusion.
- Experience as a chief of staff or Group Program Manager (GPM) within a software engineering organization.
- Cross-functional project management and collaboration skills across multiple teams and levels and boundaries.
- Proven ability to respectfully influence, motivate, negotiate, collaborate, and partner with multiple stakeholders across all levels of authority and leadership.
- Effective analytical, financial acumen and communication skills, with the ability to exert a broad influence model, esp. with teams where you have no direct management control.
- Ability to translate ideas into clear, high impact communications.
- Ability to excel in a fast paced, highly matrixed, ambiguous business environment.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity to do the right thing, with high executive presence.
Business Management M6 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $124,800 - $266,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $159,000 - $292,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.