Mexico City, Mexico
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2024
- Do you want to help revolutionize how Microsoft measures, monitors, and manages its $140B business portfolio? Do you want to design and build the next generation of data platform using cutting-edge technology? Do you want to influence product engineering teams to shape the next generation of data and analytics capabilities available to millions of Microsoft customers worldwide?
The Finance Data and Experiences organization (FD&E) builds scaled solutions that enable Microsoft to run its end-to-end business more effectively and efficiently. FD&E operates within the business and has strong delivery partnerships across Finance, Sales, Marketing, and Engineering. Our products influence data-driven decision making across a myriad of users and audiences ranging from the company’s Senior Leadership Team to front-line sellers working directly with customers.
We pride ourselves on a culture of customer centricity, innovation, agility, transparency, and flexibility. We are always eager to hear new ideas and promote out of the box thinking when addressing complex processes, architecture, or technology challenges.
Understand User Requirements
- Works with appropriate stakeholders (e.g., project manager, technical lead) to determine user requirements for a set of features. Begins to leverage a variety of feedback channels to incorporate insights into future designs or solution fixes. Incorporates appropriate continuous feedback loops measuring customer value, usage patterns, and other actionable metrics of value.
- Contributes to processes for the architecture of a product/solution feature and helps to create proposals for architecture by testing design hypotheses and helping to refine code plans, with technical leadership from others. Provides initial reactions and input to architects. Begins to own solutions for architecting of solutions, following technical leadership as applicable. Contributes to the development of design documents for designs or User Stories with oversight, and determines the technology that will be leveraged and how it will interact. Escalates and shares findings from investigations with the team and owns some design decisions. Helps to assure system architecture meets security and compliance requirements and expectations.
- Creates a clear and articulated plan for testing and assuring quality of solutions, and defines success for outcomes of tests (e.g., unit tests). Adds new tests, removes antiquated tests, and aggregates tests to improve tests in the feature area. Helps to drive efforts for augmenting test cases and ensures that the solution area has good test coverage. Helps to integrate automation features when planning for testing.
- Contributes to the identification of dependencies, and the development of design documents for a product area with little oversight. Helps to identify other teams and technologies that will be leveraged, how they will interact, and when one's system may provide support to others. Contributes to determinating back-end dependencies associated with product, application, service, or platform functionality for product features. Understands downstream effects of solutions and work provided. Helps to identify areas of dependency and overlap with other teams or team members and drives coordination.
- Creates and implements code for a product, service, or feature, reusing code as applicable. Writes and learns to create code that is extensible and maintainable. Considers diagnosability, reliability, and maintainability with few defects, and understands when the code is ready to be shared and delivered. Applies coding patterns and best practices to write code.
- Supports efforts to apply debugging tools and examines logs, telemetry, and other methods to verify assumptions proactively before issues occur and reactively as issues occur for product features. Conducts retrospective debugging of solutions to identify root causes of problems.
- Reviews code of a product feature to assure it meets the team's and Microsoft’s quality standards, is reliable and accurate, and is appropriate for the scale of the product feature. Applies feedback to current and future iterations. Participates in code reviews to ensure coding standards are followed. Considers diagnosability, reliability, and maintainability when reviewing code and understands when code is ready to be shared or delivered. Applies and screens for coding patterns and best practices in reviews.
- Reviews work items to deepen knowledge of product features in partnership with appropriate stakeholders (e.g., project managers) and executes project plans, release plans, and work items. Contributes to efforts to break down larger work items into smaller work items and provides estimation. Escalates any issues that would cause a delay.
- Conducts and creates experimentation to determine the effectiveness of changes for prototyping and testing features, and applies findings back into development.
- Learns about and supports deployment to customers following the correct measures to push features out to customers. Learns about and considers the
Reliability and Supportability
- Maintains operations of live service as issues arise on a rotational, on-call basis. Identifies solutions and mitigations to simple issues and complex issues when applicable impacting performance or functionality of Live Site services and escalates as necessary.
- Acts as a Designated Responsible Individual (DRI) working on call to monitor system/product feature/service for degradation, downtime, or interruptions. Alerts stakeholders as to the status and gains approval to restore system/product/service for simple problems. Responds within Service Level Agreement (SLA) timeframe. Escalates issues to appropriate owners..
- Identifies areas to efforts to integrate instrumentation for gathering telemetry data on system behavior such as performance, reliability, availability, usage, and safety mechanisms. Contributes to sustaining feedback loops from telemetry resulting in subsequent designs. Helps to create outputs of telemetry such as notifications or dashboards.
- Contributes to efforts to collect, classify, and analyze data with little oversight on a range of metrics (e.g., health of the system, where bugs might be occurring). Contributes to the refinement of product features by escalating findings from analyses to inform decisions regarding the engineering of products.
- Builds knowledge, shares new ideas, and shares pinpoints of engineering tool gaps to improve software developer tools to support other programs, tools, and applications to create, debug, and maintain code for complex product features. Uses open source when possible. Develops higher-level awareness of other kinds of tools outside areas of expertise. Helps to identify internal tools and creates tools that will be useful for creating the product, determining if methods are still applicable for the current solution.
- Contributes to the development of automation within production and deployment of a complex product feature. Runs code in simulated, or other non-production environments to confirm functionality and error-free runtime for products with little to no oversight.
- Contributes to efforts to ensure the correct processes are followed to achieve a high degree of security, privacy, safety, and accessibility. Checks for visible evidence to demonstrate compliance for product areas. Develops and holds an understanding of the implications of onboarding new technologies following expectations of compliance at Microsoft.
- Remains current in skills by investing time and effort into staying abreast of current developments that will improve the availability, reliability, efficiency, observability, and performance of products while also driving consistency in monitoring and operations at scale.
- Applies best practices to reliably build code that is based on well-established methods while also applying best practices for new code development. Demonstrates and maintains an up-to-date understanding of both global and local regulations for technologies and system applications to ensure regulations are met. Follows best practices for product development and scaling to customer requirements, and applies best practices for meeting scaling needs and performance expectations.
- Maintains communication with key partners across the Microsoft ecosystem of engineers. Considers partners across teams and their end goals for products to drive and achieve desirable user experiences and fitting the dynamic needs of partners/customers through product development.
- Embody our culture and values
- OR equivalent experience.
- OR equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and event driven architecture.
- Hands-on experience on large datasets using any of the following: SQL, Spark, DAX, Power BI, Azure Data Factory or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability in Data modelling and Analytics, or similar skills.
- Ability to communicate technical details clearly across teams.
- Excellent analytical skills with a systematic and structured approach to software design.
- Experience building cloud services on Azure/AWS/GCP or other cloud providers.
- Experience with or exposure to Agile and iterative development processes.