Assistant Vice President, Tax
Oaktree Capital Management
Oaktree is a leader among global investment managers specializing in alternative investments, with $183 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2023. The firm emphasizes an opportunistic, value-oriented and risk-controlled approach to investments in credit, private equity, real assets and listed equities. The firm has over 1,000 employees and offices in 20 cities worldwide.
We are committed to cultivating an environment that is collaborative, curious, inclusive and honors diversity of thought. Providing training and career development opportunities and emphasizing strong support for our local communities through philanthropic initiatives are essential to our culture.
For additional information please visit our website at www.oaktreecapital.com.
The Assistant Vice President will be responsible for managing teams, service providers, work streams and projects related to the management company and funds tax reporting function at Oaktree, with an emphasis on analyzing real-time tax data to streamline reporting and inform decision making. The candidate will work closely with other Oaktree personnel in accounting, tax, legal, investment teams, and IT, along with our external service providers, to manage tax risk across Oaktree entities and drive accurate and timely tax reporting across various large global and domestic partnerships.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Managing a talented team of tax professionals and helping grow and develop their careers;
- Working with external service providers to manage tax reporting deliverables to investors and internal stakeholders;
- Monitors and mitigates tax risk across the Oaktree management company and funds;
- Assisting in the analysis of fund and management company transactions, domestic and cross-border acquisitions, restructurings and dispositions to determine proper tax treatment; and
- Analyzing new rules and regulations that impact partners and the partnerships’ global investments;
- Correspondence with state and federal tax authorities, including audit responses.
- 7+ years of relevant tax experience with a public accounting firm and/or within the financial services industry or asset management industry
- Strong knowledge of general accounting, taxation of investment products, and experience organizing and retrieving large amounts of data
- The candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- The successful candidate will have outstanding initiative, an eagerness to learn and a strong work ethic;
- Must be customer-oriented and have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Will be self-driven, detail-oriented and must possess strong integrity and professionalism; and
- Familiarity with and understanding of a busy tax season.
A Bachelor’s degree is preferred. A Master’s degree is a plus.
Base Salary Range
$160,000 - $180,000
In addition to a competitive base salary, you will be eligible to receive discretionary bonus incentives, a comprehensive benefits package and a flexible work arrangement. The base salary offered will be commensurate with experience and/or qualifications, industry knowledge and expertise, as well as prior training and education.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Oaktree is committed to diversity and to equal opportunity employment. Oaktree does not make employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, past or present physical or mental disability, HIV status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, veteran status, military service, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic violence victim status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. This policy applies to hiring, placement, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, recruitment advertising, transfers, demotions, layoffs, terminations, recruitment advertising, rates of pay and other forms of compensation and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment. This policy applies to all Oaktree applicants, employees, clients, and contractors. Staff members wishing to report violations or suspected violations of this policy should contact the head of their department or Human Resources.