Private Equity Associate - PNC Erieview Capital
Position OverviewPNC Erieview Capital (www.pncerieview.com), a leading private equity investor of mezzanine and equity capital in middle-market businesses in the United States, is seeking an Associate for a two-year employment period to join our team.
Since our inception in 1979, we have actively invested junior capital in over 250 middle-market platform companies alongside more than 70 private equity sponsors across a wide range of industries. We are currently investing out of a $600 million commitment and managing existing mezzanine and minority equity investments in approximately 40 portfolio companies.
The Associate will be based in Cleveland, Ohio and will work closely with the firm's other investment professionals to source, underwrite, close, and monitor mezzanine and equity investments in middle-market companies. Primary responsibilities include:
• Screen potential private equity investment opportunities across various
industry sectors and geographies.
• Perform due diligence procedures, including industry and company research
on prospective investments.
• Prepare in-depth financial models and analyses of prospective investments;
including historical and projected financial results, evaluation of assumptions
and risk factors.
• Assist with the preparation of screening and investment committee materials.
• Support senior investment professionals in the negotiation and development
of legal documentation for prospective investments.
• Monitor the post-acquisition financial and operating performance of
• Participate in marketing efforts directed toward sourcing deal flow for
mezzanine and private equity investments.
Importantly, we expect an Associate’s role to expand over time as they demonstrate an ability to take on additional responsibility. The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Undergraduate degree in Finance, Business, Economics or Accounting
• Minimum of two to three years of relevant work experience; (private equity,
mezzanine, or investment banking)
• Proficiency in financial analysis and modeling
• Skill in analyzing investment opportunities including a thorough evaluation of
all aspects of a company's business plan.
• Ability to communicate analytical findings in a clear and concise written
manner, as well as oral presentations and informal discussions.
• Ability to interact effectively with senior managers of financial sponsors and
The position is primarily based in a PNC location. Responsibilities require time in the office or in the field on a regular basis. Some responsibilities may be performed remotely, at the manager’s discretion.
- Performs analytical and operational activities related to proposed deals and existing investments under the direction of senior staff professionals. Participates in the identification, origination, analysis, closing and monitoring of investment transactions.
- Participates in the marketing effort directed toward sources of investments in support of senior staff as needed. May develop sources and perform sales calls.
- Performs in-depth analyses of prospective new investments including historical/projected financial results, industry research and risk factors. Determines acceptability of potential investments in conjunction with team.
- Evaluates various opportunities for portfolio companies including evaluation of potential acquisitions, analysis of various comparable companies in contemplation of public offering and determination of fair market value of companies contemplating recapitalization and other exit scenario analysis as required.
- Evaluates various existing opportunities for portfolio companies. Participates in the review of legal documentation prior to and following the transaction closing in conjunction with senior staff. Monitors compliance issues after closing. Works with internal finance staff to track portfolio performance, valuation and reporting.
PNC Employees take pride in our reputation and to continue building upon that we expect our employees to be:
- Customer Focused - Knowledgeable of the values and practices that align customer needs and satisfaction as primary considerations in all business decisions and able to leverage that information in creating customized customer solutions.
- Managing Risk - Assessing and effectively managing all of the risks associated with their business objectives and activities to ensure they adhere to and support PNC's Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
CompetenciesBusiness Acumen – Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts, tools, and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.Cross-Team Integration – Ability to lead employees from various functions to communicate, coordinate work across divisions, and collaborate in solving problems as one team.Decision Making and Critical Thinking – Understanding of the issues related to the decision-making process; ability to analyze situations fully and accurately, and reach productive decisions.Effective Communications – Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.Financial Forecasting and Modeling – Knowledge of and ability to use processes, tools, and techniques for exploring and evaluating alternative financial scenarios and results.Financial Statement Analysis – Knowledge of tools, techniques, and practices, and ability to analyze and determine the credit-worthiness of a business enterprise through its financial statements.Investments – Knowledge of the investments business and ability to analyze and evaluate asset types, market and industry trends, major issues, and regulatory considerations.Managing Multiple Priorities – Ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives, projects, groups, or activities, making effective judgments as to prioritizing and time allocation.Quantitative Techniques – Knowledge of and ability to use quantitative tools and techniques to measure and analyze risks.
Work ExperienceRoles at this level typically require a university / college degree, with 3+ years of relevant / direct industry experience. Certifications are often desired. In lieu of a degree, a comparable combination of education, job specific certification(s), and experience (including military service) may be considered.
Additional Job Description
PNC offers employees a comprehensive range of benefits to help meet your needs now and in the future. Depending on your eligibility, options for full-time employees include medical/prescription drug coverage (with a Health Savings Account feature); dental and vision options; employee and spouse/child life insurance; short- and long-term disability protection; maternity and parental leave; paid holidays, vacation days and occasional absence time; 401(k), pension and stock purchase plans; dependent care reimbursement account; back-up child/elder care; adoption assistance; educational assistance and a robust wellness program with financial incentives. To learn more about these and other programs, including benefits for part-time employees, visit pncbenefits.com > New to PNC.
Disability Accommodations Statement:
At PNC we foster an inclusive and accessible workplace. We provide reasonable accommodations to employment applicants and qualified individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to perform the essential functions of their positions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
PNC provides equal employment opportunity to qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other categories protected by law.
Refer to the California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice to gain understanding of how PNC may use or disclose your personal information in our hiring practices.