Position OverviewWe are currently seeking a Communications Lead to join our growing Corporate External Communications team and lead the development of strategies in several regional markets in and around the western United States. This individual will be responsible for driving the development and execution of communications plans, stakeholder engagement, media relations, and issues to protect the brand and amplify reputation within those markets.
This position is primarily based in a PNC location. Responsibilities require time in the office or in the field on a regular basis. Some responsibilities may be performed remotely, at manager’s discretion.
The Communications Lead is a senior member of the 14-person Regional Media Team and a member of the Marketing and Communications team, which is comprised of approximately 300 professionals. As a Regional Media Team Communications Lead, this individual is responsible for significant support of regional presidents and local leadership in assigned markets, advising on communications trends and opportunities and responding to needs on behalf of the markets. This leader will produce a holistic strategic external communications strategy that shows a direct impact to their markets’ priorities and serves to advance awareness of PNC in their markets and among stakeholder audiences, which include customers, prospects, centers of influence and more. In addition, they will closely collaborate with teams from Business Communications, Corporate Responsibility Communications, Internal Communications and Social Media to support and shape plans that advance the market’s and bank’s priorities.
What You’ll Do:
• Design, manage and execute robust and holistic communications programs for assigned markets that demonstrates a creative approach to external narrative building and storytelling, and shows direct impact against markets’ unique priorities.
• Work closely with the regional presidents and other local leaders of assigned markets, as well as a cross-functional team of Corporate Communications and other internal partners, to provide strategic counsel and support across the spectrum of external communications, including thought leadership content, social media channels, corporate announcements, speaking engagements, public events and more.
• Support the corporation's external responses to regional issues and media questions, serving as spokesperson in the local market as needed.
• Serve as the primary contact for assigned markets media, including developing relationships with media representatives, drafting and publishing press releases and media briefings, handling media inquiries, supporting preparation of spokespeople and leading ongoing campaigns.
• Develop and write stories, op eds, remarks and talking points.
• Leverage data and results to inform approach and make recommendations to inform future communications strategies and measure the effectiveness of campaigns
• Promote a high-performance culture built on teamwork, trust and a commitment to quality, continuous improvement, and learning
Education, Training and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field.
• Minimum of 5-10 years of corporate communications experience required. Banking/financial experience preferred.
• 5+ years of experience in the development of communications strategies in support of reputation, media relations, stakeholder relationship-building and crisis/issue management.
• Ability to provide appropriate and accurate counsel and advice to superiors/senior executives.
• Ability to translate key strategic business or financial issues into messaging that resonates with external audiences.
• Proven ability to build relationships with news media representatives and demonstrated record of proactive, earned media placements.
• Strong writer and editor; excellent story telling capability and ability to develop content that resonates across multiple external communications platforms.
• Ability to travel to key PNC markets (10% travel).
Extra points for the following:
• Strong collaboration skills with ability to work across a highly matrixed organization to generate strong business outcomes
• Proven ability to build relationships with executives at all levels
• Proven ability to manage multiple priorities while delivering high-quality results
• Demonstrated ability to work flexibly and handle ambiguity
• Exceptional customer focus and unwavering integrity
• An analytic and strategic approach with a track record of turning ideas into successful action
- Develops communication strategies in support of the strategic direction and oversees initiatives, materials, and staff priorities.
- Develops communication strategies; plans, researches, and develops content for complex communications initiatives.
- Identifies issues and opportunities, serves as trusted advisor to organization on all aspects of communication, and engages other parts of the organization to ensure strategic alignment, clarity, and accuracy of message.
- Coordinates final review and approval before internal or external communications are released.
- Leads project teams of increasing complexity, influences outcomes, and evaluates success as appropriate.
- Consults and advises on communications strategies based on data-driven insights.
PNC Employees take pride in our reputation and to continue building upon that we expect our employees to be:
- Customer Focused - Knowledgeable of the values and practices that align customer needs and satisfaction as primary considerations in all business decisions and able to leverage that information in creating customized customer solutions.
- Managing Risk - Assessing and effectively managing all of the risks associated with their business objectives and activities to ensure they adhere to and support PNC's Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
CompetenciesCopywriting and Editing – Knowledge of a variety of formats, styles, and techniques for publishing materials; ability to develop and review these materials to promote business related activities.Decision Making and Critical Thinking – Understanding of the issues related to the decision-making process; ability to analyze situations fully and accurately, and reach productive decisions.Effective Communications – Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.Influencing – Knowledge of effective influencing tactics and strategies; ability to impact decisions within and outside own organization.Media Channel Management – Knowledge of different media channels (e.g. TV, radio, press, etc.); ability to evaluate and select the most preferable media outlets to ensure information is effectively delivered to target audiences.Organizational Communications – Knowledge of and ability to utilize the means, tools, techniques and media to communicate information about the organization internally and externally.Planning: Tactical, Strategic – Ability to contribute to operational (short term), tactical (1-2 years) and strategic (3-5 years) planning in support of the overall business plan.
Work ExperienceRoles at this level typically require a university / college degree, with 5+ years of industry-relevant experience. Specific certifications are often required. In lieu of a degree, a comparable combination of education, job specific certification(s), and experience (including military service) may be considered.
Additional Job Description
Base Salary: $84,500 - $141,700
Salaries may vary within the range based on geographic location, market data and on individual skills, experience, and education.
Incentive: Role is incentive eligible with the payment based upon company, business and/or individual performance.
Application Window: Generally, this opening is expected to be posted for 48 business hours from 02/06/2024, although longer with business discretion.
PNC offers employees a comprehensive range of benefits to help meet your needs now and in the future. Depending on your eligibility, options for full-time employees include medical/prescription drug coverage (with a Health Savings Account feature); dental and vision options; employee and spouse/child life insurance; short- and long-term disability protection; maternity and parental leave; paid holidays, vacation days and occasional absence time; 401(k), pension and stock purchase plans; dependent care reimbursement account; back-up child/elder care; adoption assistance; educational assistance and a robust wellness program with financial incentives. To learn more about these and other programs, including benefits for part-time employees, visit pncbenefits.com > New to PNC.
Disability Accommodations Statement:
If an accommodation is required to participate in the application process, please contact us via email at AccommodationRequest@pnc.com. Please include “accommodation request” in the subject line title and be sure to include your name, the job ID, and your preferred method of contact in the body of the email. Emails not related to accommodation requests will not receive responses. Applicants may also call 877-968-7762 and select Option 4: Recruiting for accommodation assistance. All information provided will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
At PNC we foster an inclusive and accessible workplace. We provide reasonable accommodations to employment applicants and qualified individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to perform the essential functions of their positions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
PNC provides equal employment opportunity to qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other categories protected by law.
Refer to the California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice to gain understanding of how PNC may use or disclose your personal information in our hiring practices.