Software Engineering PMTS
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
Are you obsessed with pursuing every bit of software performance? Are you striving to better utilize CPU, memory, database, and IO subsystems? Are you enjoying endless learning opportunities while your core skills never get outdated? Are you intrigued by some of the largest enterprise cloud deployments on the planet, and how they really scale?
If you’re fired up about software performance, automating everything, and working with phenomenal engineers, this is the job for you! If you are a developer that is passionate about performance, or a performance tester that is also interested in contributing performance improvements, we would love to hear from you.
Responsibilities and Impact
As a Performance Engineer you will be a part of the first-rate team that influences the future expansion of next-generation cloud solutions for speed, scale, and high availability. You will:
- Contribute to the design and velocity of our global products.
- Optimize our systems end-to-end by advising infrastructure design, server and application development/ tuning, solving sophisticated cluster architecture and any data storage issues that impact features within artificial intelligence, IoT, Platform, API’s and mobile UI experiences.
- Focus on developing sophisticated tests that perform complex load simulations and comprehensive end-to-end automation, leveraging custom built and open-source automation frameworks and software tools
- Help ensure that we use the most innovative methodologies, deep architectural expertise, cutting-edge automation, and advanced tools in the industry to maintain our leadership position.
- Possess a good understanding of large-scale system architectures, ability to identify performance problem areas, and ability to develop succinct test plans across multiple hardware and software tiers with little more than verbal conversation
- Know how to measure and demonstrate performance gains in a scientific way, by building/running workloads or simulations, and are confident in discussing time/space complexity using O(n) notation
- Are the performance expert for their scrum team, and own their team’s performance related problems in production
- Work closely with management, product owners, developers, and quality engineers to understand product requirements and design appropriate performance test plans to verify features performance and scalability requirements
- Provide accurate scoping, clear strategies, and milestones for performance tests
- Communicate status, risks to test-complete dates, and mitigation strategies to ensure on-time delivery of all committed projects to cross functional teams
- Participate in discussions and planning with development teams
- Design and implement scalability, stability, stress, reliability, availability, and longevity tests using industry standard tools and custom-developed software written in Java
- Review automation implementations and encourage sound design principles
- Review test plans, results analysis, capacity planning guides for in-flight releases
- Work closely with the Production Success Performance Team to provide product and automation expertise for use in patches, research projects, sizing, and capacity planning
- Coordinate technical presentations and training for capacity planning guides
- Report weekly trends highlighting product performance and team status against committed milestones and projects
- A related technical degree required
- 5+ years of software development experience (Java preferred)
- Demonstrable experience or understanding and passion for performance engineering
- Strong programming, debugging, and profiling skills (Java)
- Hands-on experience with performance measurement, analysis, and optimization
- Experience conducting benchmark and/or work-load testing using automation tools and frameworks for performance measurement and analysis (Jmeter)
- Experience performing simulation or lab experimentation to analyze application/system performance
- Distributed systems debugging
- Ability to work cross-functionally to articulate, measure, and solve performance issues
- Passion for continuous improvement in building a knowledge base technically and professionally
- Experience with SaaS at scale
- Knowledge of database fundamentals: SQL, schema, internals (Oracle preferred, TKProf, AWR, ASH)
- JVM and garbage collector tuning, heap dump analysis experience
- Experience with the following performance tools: JMeter, YourKit
- Agile/ Scrum methodology experience
- Experience with big data technologies such as Hbase, HDFS, Hadoop, Pig, Hive, and/or Kafka
- Knowledge of back-end systems and APIs, developer tools and compilers
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and experimental design techniques
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system and shell scripting
- Experience analyzing and interpreting large volumes of production data using Splunk to understand throughput, latency, memory, and CPU utilization
Benefits & Perks
Check out our benefits site which explains our various benefits, including wellbeing reimbursement, generous parental leave, adoption assistance, fertility benefits, and more.
Check out our Salesforce Engineering Site.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.For Washington-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $193,200 to $280,200.For California-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $210,800 to $305,600.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.