Site Reliability Engineering- GovCloud
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
Site Reliability Engineer
PLEASE NOTE: Qualification for this job is contingent upon acceptable results from a background investigation as well as your obtaining and maintaining the specific level U.S. government background investigation required for this role
Location: Burlington, MA; Herndon, VA; Denver, CO
**There are night shift requirements for this position.**
Salesforce is seeking an engineering candidate to join the Site Reliability organization. Working closely with counterparts in the Infrastructure and R&D organizations, this organization provides a team of engineers monitoring cloud service availability and ready to swiftly repair any service-impacting issues. Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, the Site Reliability team keeps the Salesforce cloud and our customers protected. As a member of the Site Reliability team, you will be responsible for the primary task of detecting and resolving incidents within minutes. This objective is met by monitoring the services, reacting to problems, and proactively addressing issues before they affect performance or availability.
The team contributes to the customer and Salesforce by securing data through monitoring, automation, self-healing and resiliency initiatives, destructive testing, and game day exercises. The incumbent in this role would demonstrate a strong focus on tactical operations, as well as large-scale production engineering and orchestration.
GovCloud Incident Response (GIR) maintains the current infrastructure with day to day alert response, smart hands and incident management; including retrospectives and following up on long term re-mediations.
GovCloud Observability and Analytics Team (GOAT) team is responsible for detection of system and services related issues with stipulated SLAs. Investigating and adopting next-gen observability software and perform data analysis to enable us to detect an issue before customers encounter any issues.
Government Service Performance, Availability and Resilience (GovSPAR) team is responsible for ensuring the overall availability of systems and services within the GovCloud environments, maintaining systems integrity through patching and vulnerability management, and triage and diagnosis of issues during production incidents.
- Keep the customer-facing services available at top performance by maintaining the constant health of the supporting systems.
- Incident management - Act in key support roles during major incidents e.g. Sev0, Sev1. Also, participate in the technical review of the incident for problem management
- Problem Management - populate and participate in RCAs and hand them off to the Global Solutions team
- Ensuring that work carried out by the Site Reliability team is performed in such a way as to stay in sync with the company’s internal compliance policy and directives
- Passionate about solving technical issues and customer concerns with other technical staff as the need arises
- Work with and lead other members of the team in staying on top of key industry innovation and technology, and assist in team development growth
- Ability to operate in the fast paced environment and solve sophisticated issues quickly successfully balance multiple priorities
- Work to automate detection and resolution of recurring issues in the production environment
- Help create and improve current processes to reduce operations and engineering toil
- U.S. citizen (U.S. born or naturalized) who does not hold dual citizenship. You agree to complete a Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) for a Moderate Public Trust position with the U.S. federal government or other clearances as deemed appropriate for the role
- A related technical degree required
- Systems engineering experience in enterprise scale internet service engineering or support role
- Expertise in TCP/IP related technologies (networking protocols, network programming, etc.)
- Expertise in CLI enterprise support of Unix variants (Linux/Solaris/BSD) as well as strong Linux/UNIX knowledge with significant exposure to Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Solaris
- Strong understanding of monitoring security systems and administration
- Strong Communication skills (Written and Oral)
- Past experience in Incident Management and good understanding of ITIL service operations
- Willingness to work in a 24/7 team managing large data centers
- Be available for shift work and being on call if required
- Experience provisioning, operating, and running AWS/C2S based infrastructure and systems
- Understand and have experience with writing scripts in Python, Go, or other languages
- Prior Chef/Puppet or automated deployment experience
- Prior Jenkins/Bamboo/Spinnaker pipeline execution experience
- Experience in supporting and maintaining a monitoring and alert systems
- Experience in supporting and maintaining Java applications
- Hands on experience configuring and running AWS (Amazon Web Services), using the CLI/SDKs
- Certifications in Linux+, RedHat and AWS
- Experience in supporting and leading Kubernetes based applications and services
- Familiar with Agile Process and DevOps
- Experience taking part in blameless retrospectives, learning from incidents, and conducting post-incident investigations, including incident analysis as well as performance evaluations of responders
- Working knowledge of and interest in resilience engineering including concepts such as safety II and looking at how things go right instead of how things go wrong, being proactive instead of reactive, and investigating complex sociotechnical systems
This candidate must be a U.S. citizen (U.S. born or naturalized) who does not hold dual citizenship and agrees to complete a U.S. federal government Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) for a Moderate Public Trust position.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.For Colorado-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $90,600 to $215,600.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.