Integration & Test Engineer (Optomechanical)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INTEGRATION & TEST ENGINEER (OPTOMECHANICAL)
As an Optomechanical Integration & Test Engineer on the Space Lasers team, you will be responsible for developing and operating complex test equipment to validate the Space Lasers systems. This will include qualifying and acceptance testing of optical systems, high-precision actuators, and integrated system-level testing. On a daily basis, you can expect to be driving the business outcome of a project that will directly tie into the success of the Space Lasers program. Depending on the status of a project this could entail test design, operation, data processing, and or root cause investigative work. You will work with responsible engineers, software engineers, and production team members to achieve positive outcomes for the space lasers team.
- Manage integration build flow and test operations
- Evaluate proposed designs for manufacturability and integration
- Interface with both engineers and technicians to optimize manufacturing and automation
- Develop and refine manufacturing assembly procedures based on lessons learned
- Enable day-to-day execution of the vehicle integration and test flow
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause and create actionable items and system improvements
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience in mechanical design or hands-on manufacturing experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with integration and testing of propulsion, thermal, electrical, and/or structural systems
- Experience working with composites and integration of avionics systems
- Documentation and configuration management experience
- Experience writing test plans, and procedures and providing go/no-go judgment and rationale
- Experience in a production environment
- Demonstrated engineering intuition, critical thinking, and comfort with ambiguity
- Some travel to our launch sites may be required as needed, up to 10%
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.