Technical Project Lead (Silicon Engineering)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TECHNICAL PROJECT LEAD (SILICON ENGINEERING)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to millions of users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
We are seeking a motivated, proactive, and intellectually curious engineer who will work alongside world-class cross-disciplinary teams (systems, firmware, architecture, design, validation, product engineering, and ASIC implementation). In this role, you will be developing cutting-edge next-generation FPGAs and ASICs for deployment in space and ground infrastructures around the globe. These chips are enabling connectivity in places it has previously not been available, affordable or reliable. Your efforts will help deliver cutting-edge solutions that will expand the performance and capabilities of the Starlink network.
- Leverage experience and technical background to drive complex and challenging silicon projects from kick-off through production
- Track and communicate schedules and milestones for front-end and backend ASIC development tasks
- Work with multidisciplinary teams to introduce new silicon to drive fast as possible bring-up
- Collaborate with silicon team and supply chain to find suppliers for silicon development
- Lead discussions with internal and external teams to identify and rectify issues
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 8+ years of Technical Project or Program Management experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Project leadership of satellite and/or consumer product lifecycle(s)
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal to communicate with stakeholders across the company
- Knowledge and experience with digital and/or analog/RF ASIC design processes from project kick-off to tape-out
- In-depth understanding of the steps required to go from engineering wafers to mass production
- Silicon project management skills with experience in most or all of the following areas:
- silicon design, bring-up, qualification, and ramp-up to production
- wafer and package part ATE testing
- silicon packaging
- silicon reliability qualification
- PCB schematics and layout
- silicon software drivers and diagnostic scripts
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Must be willing to travel when needed (typically <10%)
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends to meet critical deadlines, as needed
- This position can be based in either Redmond, WA or Irvine, CA
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Starlink Development Manager: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.