Manager, Materials Management
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
Vandenberg’s Materials Management organization is a crucial part of Supply Chain managing the daily receipt, distribution, and issuance of materials critical to build and launch rockets into space. Our goal is to become a leader in materials management performance with high on time delivery rates. The Manager, Materials Management will be responsible for managing the day-to-day activities and exceeding customer expectations by leading continuous improvement in all aspects of materials management. The Manager will be responsible for leading continuous improvement in all aspects of logistics and materials management at the launch site.
- Responsible for 1st, 2nd, and Weekend shift operations
- Perform administrative duties, including but not limited to, approving timecards, scheduling workforce to support operations, establishing employee goals, periodic reviews, one-on-one mentoring and training of direct reports
- Perform to both Launch Site and Materials Management goals and objectives
- Conduct regular safety walkthroughs, address safety issues, and promote safety policies
- Responsible for daily operations inclusive of Receiving, Shipping, Inventory Management, Internal Distribution, and Production Coordination for the Vandenberg launch site
- Implement and refine best logistics and inventory management practices including but not limited to best transportation options, kitting strategy, inventory strategy, and work order management practices in accordance with company standard operating procedures
- Interface with organization, site, and corporate leadership as the main point of contact for day-to-day Vandenberg Materials Management operations
- Be the focal point for internal and external audits and other events pertaining to the launch site
- Foster an environment where change is embraced and ideas are respected, supported, vetted and ultimately implemented (if deemed appropriate)
- Manage a multi-level deep organization, consisting of both hourly and salary individuals: assess employee performance, provide positive/constructive feedback, facilitate conflict resolution, and address repeat issues with corrective actions, performance improvement plans or through disciplinary means
- Lead by setting an example, taking feedback from all levels of the organization, and motivating your organization to achieve the highest level of results
- Understand the processes, procedures, and needs of the business in order to develop strategy, business metrics and goals to guide the organization in the direction needed
- Lead cost-saving opportunities, identifying internal/external cost reductions and optimization opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of professional experience in logistics, materials management, business administration, manufacturing/production and/or supply chain, or 6+ years of professional experience in logistics, materials management, business administration, manufacturing/production and/or supply chain
- 1+ years of experience in leadership
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- APICS certification in Supply Chain – CPIM or CSCP
- Logistics Certification - CTL
- Lean/6-Sigma experience (Green/Black Belt certifications)
- Excellent communication and team-building skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced /cross-functional environment
- Experience in logistics and materials management within an aerospace, aviation, automotive manufacturing environment
- Computer Skills - Ability to use Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, and Project
- Previous experience with large-scale capital planning and project management
- Position requires long hours and some nights and weekends
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Vandenberg
- This position is based in Vandenberg, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Materials Management Manager/Manager: $120,000.00 - $160,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.