Test Equipment Technician (Fabrication & Support) - Level 4/5
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN (FABRICATION & SUPPORT) - LEVEL 4/5
- Provide ground support equipment (GSE) technician support which involves building, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting equipment such as pumps, tanks, valves and plumbing related to the liquid oxygen (LOX) pad, fuel pad, and other aspects of the site facility
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment and instrumentation as needed
- Operate and maintain hardware, high pressure systems and pumps, and other ancillary equipment including pneumatic components
- Fabricate and repair GSE hardware and equipment
- Collaborate with design engineers to develop and document GSE activities
- Ensure all materials are clean and inspected according to Clean for Oxygen Service Standards
- Build and maintain structural and engine test equipment
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, EPA, NIOSH, NFPA, ASME, NEC, etc.
- Develop novel ways site wide to streamline processes and increase the reliability of testing operations
- Perform a variety of related duties in support of engine testing and structural test stand programs
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 8+ years of professional, industrial experience such as installing pipe and components, bending stainless tubes, or working around high pressure systems or mechanical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A&P license
- Experience in the space exploration industry, military or other high-reliability operating environment
- Experience in ground support equipment in an aerospace industry
- Mechanical aptitude and experience (work with machines and general tooling)
- Formalized mechanical training, skilled in hand and power tool usage
- A demonstrated experience where quick-thinking and problem solving plays a critical role
- Knowledge of high vacuum systems
- Knowledge of all types of bore scope inspection equipment
- Knowledge of different fittings such as NPT and A/N
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools as well as heavy equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical schematics
- Knowledge of hazardous systems - cryogenic, flammable, hypergolic, pyrophoric
- Knowledge of high pressure system design and handling
- Experience using test instrumentation and control components
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Must be able to lift heavy objects, up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Valid driver's license, and a clean driving record
- Ability to work at elevated heights - up to 200 ft.
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments - heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available for overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
- Must be available to travel to other SpaceX sites when needed (up to 25% travel)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Test Equipment Technician/Level 4: $33.00/hour
Test Equipment Technician/Level 5: $38.00 - $48.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.