Launch Engineer, Control & Flight Operations (Vandenberg)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, CONTROL AND FLIGHT OPERATIONS (VANDENBERG)
SpaceX is currently seeking an all-star to join the Launch Operations team in Vandenberg AFB. As a Launch Engineer in the Operations group, you will have the opportunity to utilize your multi-disciplinary knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop methods that maximize launch efficiency without sacrificing safety or reliability.
- Control launch vehicle, launch pad, recovery vessels/sites, and launch countdown as a primary launch controller for SpaceX’s fleet of vehicles
- Serve as the main point of contact for launch readiness, launch anomaly resolutions, and day-to-day launch pad operations
- Evaluate ground and flight operations to drive streamlined control room operations
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, low voltage electrical, and mechanical system knowledge to provide guidance to teams as they troubleshoot and resolve issues in a fast-paced environment
- Work closely with design teams to spearhead the implementation of hardware, software, and process improvements to drive towards a rapid launch-to-launch cadence
- Develop software and processes that automate how SpaceX tests and validates ground and vehicle software
- Help design automation back-end software to optimize how operators interact with hardware
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, computer science, or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of experience in a test/automation/integration engineering role (including internships, design/build/compete project teams)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working at a rocket launch/test facility and supporting launch/test campaigns
- Experience working on projects that involve the integration of electrical, mechanical, and software systems
- Demonstrated expertise with instrumentation and control components (pressure transducers, thermocouples, RTDs, strain gauges, accelerometers, flow meters, load cells, relays, solenoid, pneumatic valves, etc.)
- Experience testing and operating with or around hazardous systems (high pressure, high energy, hazardous gases and fluids, etc.)
- Strong work ethic and drive for constant improvement, balanced with the ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex problems to a wide variety of audiences
- Strong project management skills
- Must be willing to work weekends and night shifts as launch manifest dictates
- Must be willing to travel to other launch sites in support of operational activities and launches; travel requirement is up to 15%
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Comfort working in outdoor environments as required for system troubleshooting
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Vandenberg AFB
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Launch Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Launch Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.