Development Technician (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
DEVELOPMENT TECHNICIAN (STARLINK)
SpaceX is developing a low latency, broadband internet system to meet the needs of consumers across the globe. Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable. The Starlink R&D team is responsible for the fabrication and assembly of prototype development, production tooling and automation equipment for the rapidly growing Starlink consumer electronics business. Technicians work closely with the engineering team to execute high impact projects that expand and improve the Starlink product assembly lines from early stage development to the highest volume production capable systems at SpaceX.
- Fabricate electromechanical production and test systems using a wide array of tools, machines and equipment and collaborate with engineering to deliver solutions
- Work creatively to fabricate components using a wide range of equipment such as mills, lathes, welding, brakes, presses and CNC processes
- Assemble complex integrated assemblies that may include mechanical precision assembly, high and low voltage wiring and pneumatics
- Interpret engineering drawings, schematics and build instructions to complete assembly and fabrication processes for critical tooling and equipment
- Maintain and support the operation of the development shop by enforcing proper workflow, safety, tidiness and inventory control of consumables and equipment
- Perform and promote 5S principles of organizing and sustaining an efficient and presentable team work space
- Work creatively and innovate to support team goals by always being prepared to challenge the status quo and develop unique solutions
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience in mechanical fabrication (component assembly, welding, machining, hand tools, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience reading mechanical and engineering drawings, working knowledge of GD&T
- Experience reading and interpreting fluid and electrical schematics, working knowledge of wiring best practices and safety standards
- Knowledge/experience with electromechanical systems (harness wiring, stepper motors, solenoids, pneumatics, actuators etc.)
- Able to work independently and problem solve efficiently with minimal supervision
- Positive attitude and experience working on a cross-functional team
- Willingness to provide constructive feedback to the engineering and production teams to improve tooling designs, processes and parts
- Able to stay organized with strong attention to detail
- Proficient computer skills; comfortable with using email and the Microsoft Office suite
- Must be able to gain forklift certification
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends as required to support critical milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Development Technician/Level 1: $23.00 - $31.00/hour
Development Technician/Level 2: $28.00 - $37.00/hour
Development Technician/Level 3: $33.00 - $43.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.