SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Conduct numerical weather prediction analysis and testing, with proficiency interpreting and communicating the results to decision-makers and peers
- Utilize current weather sensor systems and provide recommendations for improved site instrumentation visualizations
- Develop numerical weather prediction visualization and analysis tools
- Analyze weather models (NBM, GFS, ECMWF, NAM, HRRR, others) and determine accuracy and consistency against measured conditions.
- Integration of weather sensor suite into automation and weather tool development
- Generate rocket launch forecasts, specifically against constraints in the 14 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 417
- Become familiar with local climatology and contribute to providing weekly forecasts supporting facility and launch operations
- Work with local teams to generate alerts to warn operators of impending hazardous weather conditions
- Bachelor’s degree in meteorology, atmospheric science, or other nature science discipline
- 3+ years of experience within forecasting and modeling environments, operational planning, and/or operational decision support
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency ingesting large weather datasets and analyzing patterns to improve future operational efficiencies
- Familiarity with probabilistic modeling techniques
- Experience conducting model and forecast verification
- Ability to integrate gridded model data into weather communication tools across multiple platforms
- Demonstrated proficiency to effectively adjust priorities based on changing weather conditions in a fast-paced operational environment
- Combination of training and experience that has led to qualification as a forecaster by the NWS or a U.S. or NATO military authority
- Comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with customers, peers, management etc. in both formal and informal situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Must be willing and able to work weekends and non-standard work-week hours
- Ability to pass background check for Cape Canaveral Space Force Station
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Meteorologist/Level I: $75,000.00 - $95,000.00/per year
Meteorologist/Level II: $90,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.