Associate, Middle Market Direct Lending ESG Performance
TPG is a leading global alternative asset management firm, founded in San Francisco in 1992, with $212 billion of assets under management and investment and operational teams around the world. TPG invests across a broadly diversified set of strategies, including private equity, impact, credit, real estate, and market solutions, and our unique strategy is driven by collaboration, innovation, and inclusion. Our teams combine deep product and sector experience with broad capabilities and expertise to develop differentiated insights and add value for our fund investors, portfolio companies, management teams, and communities.
TPG’s success depends on our people, and we build and sustain our world-class team by creating an inclusive, supportive culture within the firm that seeks excellence and encourages humility and transparency. The quality of our investments and our ability to build great companies depend on the originality of our insights. Reaching our firm’s full potential means supporting every team member to bring the fullness of their unique perspective to their work and to our community. We are committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace to foster diversity of thought and reflect the breadth of our limited partners and portfolio companies.
About TPG Twin Brook Capital Partners
TPG Twin Brook Capital Partners (“TPG Twin Brook”), TPG Angelo Gordon’s middle market direct lending business, is a direct lending finance company focused on providing cash-flow based financing solutions for the middle market private equity community. The business is managed by highly experienced, dedicated professionals who have successfully worked together throughout their careers at leading middle market lending institutions. TPG Twin Brook’s flexible product suite allows for tailored financing solutions for leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, add-on acquisitions, growth capital, and other situations. For more information, visit www.twincp.com.
About Y Analytics
Y Analytics is TPG's innovative internal capability, purpose-built to understand and improve the environmental and social impacts of deployed capital, in alignment with value-creation opportunities.
Y Analytics was launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise to provide best-in-class insights and tools that improve capital allocation decisions. Our rigorous approach to impact assessment and management draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, enabling greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision-making and impact valuation. Today, Y Analytics directly supports impact assessments and decision-making for The Rise Fund, the TPG Rise Climate Fund, and other TPG companies/vehicles with impact objectives.
Y Analytics also leads sustainability and Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) strategy and implementation across TPG in close partnership with colleagues across TPG. We support TPG and its portfolio companies by assessing the financially material ESG performance of current and potential investments and advise on risk mitigation and value-creation opportunities. We also manage ESG analytics and reporting activities for TPG’s firm and portfolio, in addition to engagement with limited partners on ESG considerations.
As we continue to grow, we are leveraging our capabilities in new and innovative ways and sharing our learnings with the broader investment and research communities.
This position may also be located in TPG's NY office.
The position requires periodic travel to the Twin Brook headquarters in Chicago
The Associate will be Y Analytics’ dedicated team member to support ESG assessments, engagement with underwriting teams, and special initiatives for TPG Twin Brook. Primary responsibilities include:
- Leading ESG diligence for high-priority Twin Brook deals. ESG performance assessments are integral to TPG Twin Brook’s investment and portfolio management processes. This work requires a combination of desk research and data analysis to assess the risk, performance, and impact of a company through an environmental, social and governance lens. An inquisitive mindset, self-direction, and pragmatic client service orientation are assets given the rigor and turnaround times of deal flow. Level of analysis and individual ownership will vary depending on the nature of the deal.
- Leading systems and process creation and execution efforts to support TPG Twin Brook underwriters’ incorporation of ESG considerations into performance monitoring activities. The Associate will execute regular ESG trainings and onboardings for underwriters and develop ESG analytics tools to support their own and colleagues’ analyses. The Associate will maintain a strong client service relationship with TPG Twin Brook professionals, meeting regularly for ESG education, portfolio reviews, and the introduction of new tools.
- Analyzing ESG, impact, operational, and financial data to benchmark, and enhance ESG performance of TPG Twin Brook’s portfolio. The Associate will be key to generating insights on investments’ ESG performance. Example responsibilities will include survey analysis, leveraging ESG data from third-party platforms, and developing and implementing replicable benchmarking methodologies and visualizations.
- Completing other strategic projects, research and content development as needed. The Associate will play a cross-functional role and will help support the Y Analytics team as we continue to grow, including on a number of cross-platform strategic ESG initiatives. Additional responsibilities may include developing thought leadership or other external-facing content around areas of firm expertise and conducting deep dives and analyses related to a particular sector or research theme. The Associate may also coordinate with other investment strategies on strategic portfolio engagement initiatives.
- Undergraduate degree required. Minimum of 2 years of full-time work experience. Ideal candidate will have at least 1 year of experience in ESG/sustainability related consulting, research and analytics, or similar professional services
- Familiarity with common ESG frameworks, standards, KPIs, and trends
- Interest in direct lending investments strategies or alternative credit investing more broadly
- Excellent project management skills: must be able to drive work forward independently, self-guide research and manage projects, and deliver top quality, highly polished outputs
- Ability to develop and implement new processes and systems
- Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to synthesize findings from research and data analysis in presentations, trainings, and written documents, and communicate these to internal and external stakeholders across all seniority levels
- Strong strategic thinker and problem solver: must be able to navigate challenges (e.g., data gaps) with creative problem-solving ability and a can-do attitude
- Strong quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to both (a) quickly and accurately analyze company and third-party data and generate practical insights, and (b) develop analytics tools, business intelligence dashboards, and related end-user education
- Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good
- Highly collaborative: must be a strong team player who is effective in a teamwork-heavy, cross-functional environment