Vice President, Project Manager
Walker & Dunlop
Department:Affordable Housing | Equity - Acquisitions
We are Walker & Dunlop. We are one of the largest providers of capital to the commercial real estate industry, enabling real estate owners and operators to bring their visions of communities — where people live, work, shop, and play — to life. We are committed to creating meaningful social, environmental, and economic change in our communities. We believe seeking diverse talent and promoting the inclusion of all perspectives are more than moral imperatives – they are critical to our success and ability to innovate and grow.
Walker & Dunlop (W&D), the #1 multifamily finance lender in the United States, has been a major player in the affordable housing space for years, and we continue to invest in our platform to provide our clients with unparalleled solutions for all their affordable housing needs. Our suite of services, unmatched affordable housing experience, exceptional expertise in transaction execution, and industry-leading technology are setting a new standard in affordable housing. W&D’s dedicated affordable housing team, committed to addressing the affordable housing crisis in the U.S., is comprised of debt financing, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) equity, investment sales, and preservation.
W&D Affordable Equity (WDAE, formerly Alliant Capital) is a leading tax credit firm focused on tax credit syndication for the development and financing of affordable multifamily rental housing. As a LIHTC syndicator, WDAE raises corporate equity and monitors the development, construction, lease-up and permanent financing phases of its investments. With a dedicated team of experienced real estate, asset management, legal, and tax professionals, we provide the highest level of fully integrated real estate and investment support services.
The Vice President, Project Manager will be primarily responsible for managing the acquisition of the Limited Partner partnership interest in assigned affordable housing developments on behalf of WDAE. The Vice President, Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing and reviewing all facets of the process under the direction of the Senior Vice President, Acquisitions & Investment Management.
What you will be doing:
- Negotiating project limited partnership agreements with developers and investors in conjunction with assigned outside counsel.
- Reviewing financial feasibility of projects, focusing on construction sources and uses, operating expenses, projected income, and permanent financing sources.
- Reviewing project documents including State-specific LIHTC Applications, Market Studies, Appraisals, Environmental Impact Reports, Project Approvals, Loan documents, and other documents in conjunction with underwriting project feasibility.
- Respond to Developer, Investor and internal departmental inquiries by remaining knowledgeable on the status of current projects though preparation of checklists and project summaries, understanding the importance of each document and its relationship to the transaction.
- Coordinate the activities of in-house construction, underwriting and modeling departments, as well as in-house counsel towards a closing.
- Manage assigned Acquisitions Coordinator.
- Other duties, as assigned.
The education and experience we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, real estate, finance, accounting, or equivalent experience. Advanced degrees and certifications a plus.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in real estate finance with specific experience in Section 42 LIHTC syndication or multi-family housing.
- Experience in underwriting and structuring LIHTC real estate transactions.
- Knowledge of key aspects of real estate development and finance, land use and entitlement, property due diligence and acquisition, and site planning and design. Knowledge of public subsidies or other affordable housing programs considered a plus.
- Ability to travel on an as-needed basis.
- Experience with the escrow process and understanding of title and survey issues preferred.
What skills you should have:
- Ability to initiate and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with team members, government agencies, consultants, lenders, investors, and developers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to identify and resolve issues.
- Good client and public presentation skills; excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills, highly attentive to detail and able to perform tasks with limited supervision in a time sensitive work environment.
- Maintain the strictest confidence when handling confidential and non-routine information and matters.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, management, and clients.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to show ownership of your work, take on challenges and acknowledge growth opportunities, and demonstrate patience when learning new processes.
- Demonstrates strong learning orientation. Takes ownership for personal development through active participation in training and career development.
- Courtesy, respect, and thoughtfulness in teaming with colleagues and other stakeholders
- Embodiment of the Walker Way in approach to work: caring, collaborative, tenacious, driven, and insightful.
This position has an estimated base salary of $139,200.00-$174;000.00 plus annual discretionary performance bonus.
What We Offer
The opportunity to join one of Fortune Magazine’s Great Places to Work winners from 2015-2023
Comprehensive benefit options* that have earned Walker & Dunlop the silver level of the 2022 Cigna Healthy Workforce Designation™, some of which include:
- Up to 83% subsidized medical payroll deductions
- Competitive dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) + match
- Pre-tax transit and commuting benefits
- A robust health and wellness program – earn cash rewards and gain access to resources that
promote health, engagement, and balance
- Paid maternity and parental leave, as well as other family paid leave programs
- Company-paid life, short and long-term disability insurance
- Health Savings Account and Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, with employee resource groups organizing activities and providing a space for open communication
Career development opportunities
Empowerment and encouragement to give back – volunteer hours and donation matching
*Eligibility may vary based on average number of hours worked
We are committed to equity in all steps of the recruitment and employment experience. We believe in equal access to opportunities in our workplace. We do not tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on any characteristic protected by applicable law, such as race, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, sex, age, disability, veteran or military status, and genetic information. We strive to be a safe place to ask questions, build professional relationships, and develop careers.
Please be wary of recruitment scams. An indication of a scam might be a request for sensitive or bank information at the time of application or emails coming from a non walkerdunlop.com email address. Please call us at 301.215.5500, if you have any concerns about information requested during or after the application process.