LIHTC Compliance Analyst
Walker & Dunlop
Department:Affordable Housing | Equity - Asset Management
We are Walker & Dunlop. We are one of the largest providers of capital to the commercial real estate industry, enabling real estate owners and operators to bring their visions of communities — where people live, work, shop, and play — to life. We are committed to creating meaningful social, environmental, and economic change in our communities. We believe seeking diverse talent and promoting the inclusion of all perspectives are more than moral imperatives – they are critical to our success and ability to innovate and grow.
Walker & Dunlop, the #1 multifamily finance lender in the US, has been a major player in the affordable housing space for years, and we continue to invest in our platform to provide our clients with unparalleled solutions for all their affordable housing needs. Our suite of services, unmatched affordable housing experience, exceptional expertise in transaction execution, and industry-leading technology are setting a new standard in affordable housing. W&D’s dedicated affordable housing team, committed to addressing the affordable housing crisis in the U.S., is comprised of debt financing, LIHTC equity, investment sales, and preservation.
W&D Affordable Equity (formerly Alliant Capital) is a leading tax credit firm focused on tax credit syndication for the development and financing of affordable multifamily rental housing. As a syndicator of Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), W&D Affordable Equity raises corporate equity and monitors the development, construction, lease-up and permanent financing phases of its investments. With a dedicated team of experienced real estate, asset management, legal, and tax professionals, we provide the highest level of fully integrated real estate and investment support services.
The Compliance Analyst is responsible for performing complex analysis related to compliance monitoring. The compliance analyst will primarily be reviewing tenant files and analyzing data to determine household eligibility for the Section 42 tax credit housing program. The compliance analyst will be reviewing all applicable forms such as: income and asset verifications, household status affidavits, child support affidavit, student affidavit, unemployment affidavits, applications, leases, Section 8 documentation etc.
What you will be doing:
- Using advanced compliance skills to solve complex issues and proactively mitigate risk.
- Reviewing all applicable forms such as: income and asset verifications, household status affidavits, child support affidavit, student affidavit, unemployment affidavits, applications, leases, Section 8 documentation etc.
- Reporting on any potential compliance issues found during property file reviews to the Senior Compliance Analyst and Director to evaluate the overall compliance risk and seek resolution.
- Collecting and review Annual Owner Certifications. This includes a review of resident data to confirm household eligibility and ongoing property compliance.
- Collecting and review State Compliance Audits and report on any non-compliance items resulting in 8823’s.
- Maintaining an organized system for correspondence, memos and reports.
- Assembling and prepares the request package for the annual file review and assists with initial tenant file reviews when a Senior Compliance Analyst is not available.
- Assembling and creates FTP folders for compliance related items.
- Maintaining virtual file storage systems and compliance data in Alliant Central Station (ACS) database to ensure the integrity of all data.
- Communicating with co-workers, management, and clients in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conforming with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Other job duties or special projects as needed or assigned.
The education and experience we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, real estate, finance, accounting, or equivalent experience
- 2 years experience in Section 42 Low Income Housing Tax Credit Compliance or Affordable Multi-Family Housing programs preferred.
- Knowledge of general administrative procedures, operation of standard office equipment and technology.
- Computer literacy and experience working with MS Office software programs including Word, Excel, Adobe and Outlook.
- Experience with OneSite and Yardi preferred
- Low-Income Tax Credit Housing certification preferred
What skills you should have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in all situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings including excellent spelling, grammar, and proof-reading abilities. Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities, organized; sets priorities; meets deadlines; able to multi-task; carefully proofs own work
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and be creative with problem-solving - the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal skills and must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization and handle sensitive and confidential situations independently or on a team
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness
- Ability to effectively manage and administer sensitive and confidential information.
- Individual needs to be a highly motivated, self-starter who is dependable, detail-oriented, and capable of working in a productive independent fashion, and function well in a team environment
- Strong work ethic (professionalism), initiative and pro-activeness and be able to work minimal guidance & supervision (Trust, Attitude, Commitment, Honesty, Collaboration & Approachability)
- Good judgment. The individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions
- Planning/organizing. The individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans
- Professional, upbeat, energetic, takes initiative, dependable, takes pride in work
- Must have a professional appearance, demeanor and customer service attitude. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
This position has an estimated base salary of $54,400.00-67,500.00 plus annual discretionary performance bonus
What We Offer
The opportunity to join one of Fortune Magazine’s Great Places to Work winners from 2015-2023
Comprehensive benefit options* that have earned Walker & Dunlop the silver level of the 2022 Cigna Healthy Workforce Designation™, some of which include:
- Up to 83% subsidized medical payroll deductions
- Competitive dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) + match
- Pre-tax transit and commuting benefits
- A robust health and wellness program – earn cash rewards and gain access to resources that
promote health, engagement, and balance
- Paid maternity and parental leave, as well as other family paid leave programs
- Company-paid life, short and long-term disability insurance
- Health Savings Account and Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, with employee resource groups organizing activities and providing a space for open communication
Career development opportunities
Empowerment and encouragement to give back – volunteer hours and donation matching
*Eligibility may vary based on average number of hours worked
We are committed to equity in all steps of the recruitment and employment experience. We believe in equal access to opportunities in our workplace. We do not tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on any characteristic protected by applicable law, such as race, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, sex, age, disability, veteran or military status, and genetic information. We strive to be a safe place to ask questions, build professional relationships, and develop careers.
Please be wary of recruitment scams. An indication of a scam might be a request for sensitive or bank information at the time of application or emails coming from a non walkerdunlop.com email address. Please call us at 301.215.5500, if you have any concerns about information requested during or after the application process.