Early Career Investor - Industrials
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
About the Role
We are seeking to recruit a Research Associate (RA) to join our Early Career Investor (ECI) program, with a placement on the Global Industry Research Industrials Team. This position is based in Boston. The focus of this role will be on researching public companies within industrials, working closely with the senior Global Industry Research Analyst on the Team. The ideal candidate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player who is passionate about both industrials and the investment management industry.
This Early Career Investor Program is a 3–5-year growth opportunity. An ECI’s career path during or after the program is based upon individual skill, organizational needs, personal interest, and future potential. Some ECIs may be placed in a long-term assignment with an investment team or may pursue graduate studies upon completion of the program.
Our Early Career Investing Program affords a unique opportunity for those individuals who are passionate about and are seeking a career in investment research and investing. Candidates that are successfully hired will have the opportunity to further develop accounting, financial statement analysis, and financial modeling skills, as well as provide broad exposure to the investors and investment landscape at WMC.
Supplemental training and career coaching will be provided on a continuous basis throughout each participant’s tenure with the Program along with mentorship from senior investors and peers. In addition, participants will be required to pursue the CFA designation to further their financial acumen.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
• Analytical acumen and passion for markets –The ideal candidate will have a superior financial modeling skills, strong analytical capabilities, and an eagerness to apply their expertise in support of Wellington's industrials investing. The RA will be passionate about investing and the industrials industry.
• Superior collaboration skills – The Research Associate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player, who contributes to the research efforts of the senior industrials Analyst. The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative investment environment and will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues across the industrials team. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) and contribute to an open investment dialogue is required.
• Growth mindset – The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving, and growing as a Research Associate is important. The RA will have a global perspective and creative approach for analyzing investment opportunities in industrials equities.
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
• Performing continuous due diligence on industrials companies spanning the breadth of the sector;
• Building and maintaining company financial models on prospective investments;
• Completing complex analytical projects under tight time constraints;
• Staying abreast of relevant literature;
• Working to identify emerging research trends and novel and investable developments;
• Maintaining the integrity of industry and comparative valuation models; and
Additional qualifications and individual characteristics include:
• Superior academic credentials and track record: an undergraduate degree is required;
• A minimum of 2 years of previous investment experience ideally within the finance industry is preferred; equally strong applicants with relevant experience within the financial services space will also be considered;
• Superior financial modeling ability;
• Aptitude for building investment science skill set through interest in the intersection of science and investing; an understanding of Python or other coding language is strongly preferred;
• Sound judgment, strong work ethic and highest personal and professional integrity;
• Demonstrated analytical ability;
• Ability to work independently and make decisions in the face of uncertainty;
• Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize time well;
• Strict attention to detail; and
• Effective communications skills, both written and verbal.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com.
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry. We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:USD 65,000 - 150,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington’s total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families, and we are committed to fostering a flexible work environment that enables employees to thrive personally and professionally. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)