Failure Analysis Engineer
At Wolfspeed, we do amazing things in a human way.
We know that the achievements of our organization are due to the passion, hard work and creativity of our employees. We celebrate different perspectives to foster excellence across our organization, and our goal is to make diversity a foundation of what we do. We are proudly building an environment where you can bring your authentic self to work.
- Enjoy doing things that people say can’t be done? Innovation is at the center of everything we do.
- Hate red tape? We remove roadblocks instead of creating them.
- Working parent? We provide childcare assistance and paid parental leave.
- Student? We offer continuing education assistance.
- Looking for community? There are many ways to get involved, from Employee Resource Groups to local outreach.
Here’s the Gist:
Failure analysis laboratory process engineer supporting customer returns, new product introduction and continual improvement for Wolfspeed SiC-based MOSFETs and Schottky diode die, discretes, and power modules, and customer-built power modules. Perform electrical testing, nondestructive imaging, deprocessing, cross section and fault location to identify root cause of failure and collaborate with teams to drive solutions.
- Perform physical failure analysis processes on customer returns, new product introduction, product/process changes, yield enhancement and continual improvement for Wolfspeed SiC-based MOSFETs and Schottky diode die, discretes, and power modules, and customer-built power modules.
- Hands-on electrical testing, nondestructive imaging (c-mode scanning acoustic microscopy (CSAM)), chemical de-processing, cross section / polishing, fault location (hotspot thermal imaging), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS) to identify root cause of failure. Partner with Wolfspeed Fayetteville and external failure analysis labs as capability and capacity require.
- Write summary physical failure analysis summaries for contributing to failure analysis engineers performing root cause investigations, for customer or internal use, that elucidate the root cause of failure and may suggest possible solutions. Collaborate with internal engineering teams to drive improvements.
- Develop electrical test, chemical de-processing, CSAM cross-section/polishing processes and write controlled document procedures. Support lab chemical hygiene and waste disposal, safety, ESD prevention, 5S, tool ownership, and best practices.
- Train and work with lab technicians and engineers and collaborate Durham and Fayetteville failure analysis teams.
This Job is Right for You if You Have (Minimum Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, chemistry, materials science or engineering (electrical, chemical or materials) or related field
- Working knowledge of semiconductor process technology and device functionality
- Great soft skills including technical writing, verbal communication, technical presentations, critical thinking, multi-tasking, flexibility with rapidly changing priorities, collaborating with remote teams, sense of urgency, accountability and ownership
- Able to work in the lab in close proximity with others and be on your feet for up to 8 hours per day. Comfortable performing chemical, mechanical and high voltage electrical processes.
- This position requires the lawful ability to access technical data, information, and areas controlled by United States export control laws and regulations.
This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management.
To put it legally – Wolfspeed is an equal opportunity employer.
We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation and other protected status as required by law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.